• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reptisun 5.0 vs 10.0? Please help

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
i am currently in the process of changing the uvb to a reptisun. I have a 20 gallon tank for now with 12 height.

I ordered the recommended 10.0 but it covers more than 2/3 of my tank when placed on top bc it is 24in with the hood. It goes into the baskin spot touching the basking lamp. As opposed to the 18 inch 5.0 which perfectly covers 2/3 of the tank.

also I read on zoo med that 5.0 is for tanks with a 12 inch difference. The 10.0 is for tanks with a 20 inch height difference. Also the 5.0 is 15w and the 10.0 24w if that makes a difference.

Can anyone please help me to make the right decision. I am afraid sticking with the 10.0 in the beginner tank will harm the beardie.

Thank you

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
I believe 5.0 is for tropical reptile. 10.0 is for dessert reptile. And u want the bulb to cover the whole tank that way regardless where he go he will be able to get the uvb rays he or she needs.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
I believe 5.0 is for tropical reptile. 10.0 is for dessert reptile. And u want the bulb to cover the whole tank that way regardless where he go he will be able to get the uvb rays he or she needs.
And also what I learned about a tank top save money is to skip the 20 gallon tank. The bearded dragon will out grow that quick. A 40 gallon is more prefer. And if u wanna be more room a 75 gallon tank. This saves u money as u will eventually be moving him to a bigger tank so why double your cost for buying more then one tank. Here's what you do buy a 40 gallon tank if u got a baby or juvenile u can take a piece of cardboard and block part of the cage. So example u got a 40 gallon tank you put a cardboard in there to make it a 20 gallon space for the lil guy and as he grows u just move the cardboard to give him more space till he's ready for the full tank. Cuz tanks are expensive and buying more then one can put a dent in your pocket.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is totally fine if it covers more than 2/3rds it should overlap some anyways. The thing is you really can't have too much UVB :) Yes your little one will outgrow the small tank pretty quick so having the longer one will work when you upgrade.. the thing you'll need to keep an eye on is the temps..
You do want to get the 10.0 bulb the 5.0 will work for the time being but the 10 is best..

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
It is totally fine if it covers more than 2/3rds it should overlap some anyways. The thing is you really can't have too much UVB :) Yes your little one will outgrow the small tank pretty quick so having the longer one will work when you upgrade.. the thing you'll need to keep an eye on is the temps..
You do want to get the 10.0 bulb the 5.0 will work for the time being but the 10 is best..

Thank you! I was under the assumption that too much UVB can hurt the little guy. He was having an issue with his eye for a few days but it looks like shed got into it. I first assumed he was burnt but I took him back to petco and spoke with the herpotologist who is very knowledgeable and he said that was shed.

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
Can I keep both lamps placed like this for now? Will upgrade tank as soon as we finish house renovations and be able to move beardie to another place.

If I don't keep them like this and put them in one straight line they don't fit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 657
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 679

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I was under the assumption that too much UVB can hurt the little guy. He was having an issue with his eye for a few days but it looks like shed got into it. I first assumed he was burnt but I took him back to petco and spoke with the herpotologist who is very knowledgeable and he said that was shed.
Your welcome, just watch those temps with the 10.0 and the 20gal it might get too hot so.....give plenty of hides and watch him to see where hes going and if hes avoiding the light as it might be too hot

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Yea you can never have to much uvb like she said and u can keep your set up jist make sure u have a kool side and a place for him to hide from the heat if it's too hot

Marila123

Hatchling Dragon
Your welcome, just watch those temps with the 10.0 and the 20gal it might get too hot so.....give plenty of hides and watch him to see where hes going and if hes avoiding the light as it might be too hot

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Thanks again! Can I keep the setup?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The UVB and heat light set up is perfect. You want the two to overlap some because the UVB produces D3 and the heat helps the D3 synthesize calcium. My UVB covers the entire length of the tank and my dragons have places to hide from it if they want. The 5.0 is a weaker bulb and through the mesh is going to stop giving adequate UVB after only a few months. The 10.0 bulb is the one to use.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Yep 10.0 reptisun the way to go. I got an order on amazon coming in from the states 32 bucks with shipping free to Canada. It's coming from Oregon I order Monday with an expected eta of Oct 31st to Nov 7. Local shops here which is only two petsmart and some mom and pop shop. The mom pop shop only carries T8 reptiglo and he got reptisun but it's the T8 bulb as well. I may have to look for a T8 fixture later just so I can buy locally. But 32 bucks not bad. Compared to some that's asking 45 bucks with an extra 15 to 18 dollar shipping. Tl and that at website that's in canada charging that.