• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reptile Sciences or Vita-Sand?

Iwantabeardie

Hatchling Dragon
I have a 4 month beardie and I want to get him a few bags of sand because it looks nice. The only question is should I use reptile sciences terrarium sand or Vita-Sand? Reptile sciences is 100% digestible but I don't think Vita-Sand is. Also how many 10 lb bags would I need to cover the bottom of a 40BR tank? Thanks.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hello! i’m not sure about reptile sciences, but sand can cause impaction, especially in young beardies. it is also pretty unhygienic. i recommend paper towels or reptile carpet. ceramic tiles is an amazing option as it’s easy to clean and can help keep your dragon’s nails filed!

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
20200708_213414.jpg
I have a 4 month beardie and I want to get him a few bags of sand because it looks nice. The only question is should I use reptile sciences terrarium sand or Vita-Sand? Reptile sciences is 100% digestible but I don't think Vita-Sand is. Also how many 10 lb bags would I need to cover the bottom of a 40BR tank? Thanks.
Hello, I agree with @averyhanna_ , sand can be bad for bearded dragons especially juvenile bearded dragons as it can cause impaction. I would suggest tile instead, you can make some very pretty enclosures with just tile, you could also make a bioactive tank. If you want a tank to look nicer to you can also add a 3D background. The picture is of one of my pvc cages, it is bioactive and has a 3D background.

tortadon

Bearded Dragon Egg
I myself do not care for newspaper as most inks are recycled and rubs off on the skin. You can wash your hands but beardies are like boys.. of all ages if you get my drift. I as A rule place A tile or 2 to cover the bottom and than place nice pieces of branches for them to hang out on. Large rocks are good for basking but keep them A bit away from the hot lights.
Buy A infrared thrmometer for6 or 7 dollars and you can check the temps throughout your tank and your lizards body temp without bothering it while it naps.
Hope this helps.

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Tile is by far the best substrate. I would recommend getting some tile from your local home improvement store, I got mine at Home Depot, and I will tell you they have a great selection. Don't get laminate flooring, even a little bit of heat will give off toxic fumes, that's why I can't even fathom why anyone would put it in their house.