• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Relatively new to owning my beardies and i have multiple questions

Noah GIlman

Bearded Dragon Egg
So i got the beardies in august and would help take care of them now it is my full on responsibility to take care of them and i got some questions.
1. They should be in a tank bigger than 40 gals right? I'm pretty sure i know they have to be but I'm not sure. Im building a bigger one (4x2x2)
2. Glass and plexi glass is expensive so could i use something like the metal mesh window screens instead of glass? i can still see them its just that glass is really expensive and im only 14.
3. Should i listen to petsmart workers?
4. Do i need to replace my lighting? I didn't buy the lighting my parents did and they got a 2 in one bulb which produces uvb and acts as a basking light i guess.
5.what substrate should i use? I planned on doing soil and play sand but now i don't want to because im scared the soil will rot out the wood im making the enclosures of so im thinking of putting tile instead.
6. Should i continue feeding them crickets or should i buy something like dubia roaches for them to eat?
7. What fruits and veggies should i feed them?
8. Should i put something in the cage for them to wear their own claws down with so they don't have to get stressed out by getting them cut by the vet?
Sorry i have so many questions i'm just trying to give them the best light possible.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So i got the beardies in august and would help take care of them now it is my full on responsibility to take care of them and i got some questions.
1. They should be in a tank bigger than 40 gals right? I'm pretty sure i know they have to be but I'm not sure. Im building a bigger one (4x2x2) Yes
2. Glass and plexi glass is expensive so could i use something like the metal mesh window screens instead of glass? i can still see them its just that glass is really expensive and im only 14. I would not -- you need the glass or acrylic doors
3. Should i listen to petsmart workers? NOOOOOOOO
4. Do i need to replace my lighting? I didn't buy the lighting my parents did and they got a 2 in one bulb which produces uvb and acts as a basking light i guess. What brand and wattage some are bad bulbs and cause eye issues
5.what substrate should i use? I planned on doing soil and play sand but now i don't want to because im scared the soil will rot out the wood im making the enclosures of so im thinking of putting tile instead. Textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank found at Walmart and your local home improvement stores
6. Should i continue feeding them crickets or should i buy something like dubia roaches for them to eat? Dubias are better feeders and cheaper bought on line - I can provide websites and how to set up a 10 gallon tank for them
7. What fruits and veggies should i feed them? http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder

8. Should i put something in the cage for them to wear their own claws down with so they don't have to get stressed out by getting them cut by the vet? Ceramic tile is great for that - you can put one piece or so in the tank so they walk on them and it will do the trick - you dont want tile so coarse it causes abrasions on the feet and stomach or something so slippery they cant walk on it - go to the store and rub your hand across it that is the best way
Sorry i have so many questions i'm just trying to give them the best light possible.
The MOST important thing in the tank is your surface basking temps and your UVB ----------- you have asked alot of good questions but you need correct basking temps and UVB for your dragon to live --- w/ out these things he wont ------------- I will help you get that tank set up so your dragon stays healthy and lives --- you want 2 digital probe thermometers for your surface basking temps --- what size tank do you have and how many dragons????????????

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
1. They should be in a tank bigger than 40 gals right? I'm pretty sure i know they have to be but I'm not sure. Im building a bigger one (4x2x2)
2. Glass and plexi glass is expensive so could i use something like the metal mesh window screens instead of glass? i can still see them its just that glass is really expensive and im only 14.
4. Do i need to replace my lighting? I didn't buy the lighting my parents did and they got a 2 in one bulb which produces uvb and acts as a basking light i guess.
5.what substrate should i use? I planned on doing soil and play sand but now i don't want to because im scared the soil will rot out the wood im making the enclosures of so im thinking of putting tile instead.
6. Should i continue feeding them crickets or should i buy something like dubia roaches for them to eat?
8. Should i put something in the cage for them to wear their own claws down with so they don't have to get stressed out by getting them cut by the vet?
may I suggest making PVC panel cage they are pretty cheap way cheaper then build your own glass cage they are also a lot lighter than just all glass cages I'm building my beardie a custom one that's going to be around $1500 but just a plain PVC cage will only cost about maybe $700 at most

Noah GIlman

Bearded Dragon Egg
may I suggest making PVC panel cage they are pretty cheap way cheaper then build your own glass cage they are also a lot lighter than just all glass cages I'm building my beardie a custom one that's going to be around $1500 but just a plain PVC cage will only cost about maybe $700 at most
I dont have 700 dollars lol im only 14 and im building it out of wood my grandpa has in his workshop

Noah GIlman

Bearded Dragon Egg
The MOST important thing in the tank is your surface basking temps and your UVB ----------- you have asked alot of good questions but you need correct basking temps and UVB for your dragon to live --- w/ out these things he wont ------------- I will help you get that tank set up so your dragon stays healthy and lives --- you want 2 digital probe thermometers for your surface basking temps --- what size tank do you have and how many dragons????????????
I have 2 beardies and they are both in a 40gallon tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have 2 beardies and they are both in a 40gallon tank
Please separate those dragons immediately--------- dragons should never be kept together they are a territorial animal and males will fight till one of them is dead--- females one will be dominant and the other will suffer and male and female the male will want to breed all the time stressing the female out and she will not thrive --- dragons need their own space --- please get them apart -- your going to need two setups - get one into a 20 gallon tote for now and get another tank set up ------------I cannot stress this enough ---

Acadia

Bearded Dragon Egg

1 I'm sorry 40 is too small in my opinion for one bearded dragon. Many do use 40 g per dragon and it's the minimum only. I use a 70 gallon Reptizoo glass tank. They should never ever be housed together, ever. You'll result in nipped tails, missing fingers and toes or worse damage. Bearded dragons are solitary animals and aggressive towards one another. Do not listen to anyone who tells you they are doing fine putting two in one tank.

2. Glass keeps the heat in and it's easier to regulate temperatures. Mesh wouldn't make sense personally. As already mentioned you also have the added issue of claws/nails getting caught in mesh.

3. It depends on which store/location. Some are knowledgeable and others aren't. I questioned a few on their knowledge close to my place and I'd say about 80% were very against customers adopting bearded dragons out to customers who hadn't done any research or wouldn't invest the $800+ on enclosure, lighting and basic necessities. That was about the initial costs that I spent on my beardie. I mostly keep snakes (ball pythons) and they are also in larger-than-recommended tanks with a lot of space to explore and exhibit more natural tendencies.

4. I started out with a Reptisun bulb (long tube) within a Sunblaster right away. A lamp fixture at Petsmart supporting up to at least 100 W bulbs will suffice. You can get 100 W bulbs at the dollar store. Don't be cheap about the UVB. They need this critically.

5. I used paper towels up to about one year. They poo incessantly under one year. Paper towels are a cheap alternative and easy to clean. Also allows them some grip. Some use tile but I use expensive glass tanks and didn't want any risk of accidents or cracks while cleaning or handling tile around glass. My dragon is potty trained and goes to the toilet in weekly soaks so I upgraded the substrate recently in the last couple of months to coconut fibre and mulch. She's doing well. I don't recommend soil substrate of any kind for young bearded dragons as they may get impacted sticking their tongue out at everything and there's difficulty keeping the enclosure sanitary. The soil should never be wet. I never wet the substrate. It is always 100% dry. To help with youngling sheds I always soak the dragon in a tupperware bath.

6. Dubia roaches are not available where I am so mine subsisted on crickets, superworms, hornworms, veggies and Repashy Beardie Buffet for added vitamins and minerals. You can find it online or easiest at Petsmart for about $30/bottle in Canada. She's more on a veggie diet now and still with some Repashy for added vitamins.

7. Bagged lettuce, usually rocket lettuce, small bit of romaine, shredded carrots, parsley. You can add a few blueberries. There's plenty of info online about what greens to feed.

8. I gathered natural rock sanitized it and put it near the food bowls. It wears down the nails nicely. Some people use tile for this purpose. Other times, I filed her nails myself with a small nail file. I don't recommend doing this if you are not familiar or confident about doing it. You can seriously hurt them. Put a rock or two in there securely on the bottom, not anywhere that it can fall and injure your dragon, and near the food bowl. This was the easiest and carefree method for me.

I'd say your biggest hurdle right now is separating those dragons and finding appropriate enclosures and appropriate lighting. If you can't provide the minimum care that these animals need rehome them to someone who can.

Noah GIlman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please separate those dragons immediately--------- dragons should never be kept together they are a territorial animal and males will fight till one of them is dead--- females one will be dominant and the other will suffer and male and female the male will want to breed all the time stressing the female out and she will not thrive --- dragons need their own space --- please get them apart -- your going to need two setups - get one into a 20 gallon tote for now and get another tank set up ------------I cannot stress this enough ---
They are separated they are in their own individual 40 gal tanks