• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Regular Light For Cool Side?

Tanner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can I use just a regular light for the cool side of my beardies terrarium? Just for the cool side not to be so dark.
If so whats the best bulb to run during the day?
Link please
upload_2018-8-5_15-55-29.gif

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can I use just a regular light for the cool side of my beardies terrarium? Just for the cool side not to be so dark.
If so whats the best bulb to run during the day?
Link please View attachment 18389
You actually want to have 3 "areas" You got your basking spot then you you have the warm area (typically the middle) then you want the cool side that can go down to 65F. They need a cool side without direct lighting so they can hide from the lights and they can sleep.
So you want a long UVB most of us use Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulbs then overlapping some a basking bulb as they need that overlap to digest the food and absorb the supplements.
If you take a look at the links below several of our comments take a look at the info for New comers and that will cover all areas of care and gives links.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Your UVB bulb should cover 1/2 to 2/3 of your tank if it does and you want more light on your cool side you could get an LED light or a low watt bulb that won't bump up the temps too high.

I have a UVB that runs the length of my tank and then I offer multiple places for my dragons to hide from the light when they need to.