• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Refusing To Hunt

Mak

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my Bearded Dragon for 7 months, she is 7-8 months old and is refusing to hunt her food.
Previously we've had problems where she has refused food altogether, glass surfing and re-occurring impaction but thankfully that cleared up after the advice of people here.
When we got her she had been kept on sand, was thin, impacted and could barely move.
She had critical care with bathing every day, hand feeding and intense heat.
We almost lost her, but she thankfully pulled through, although the impaction lasted a while.
After our previous drama with her (in a previous post; refusal to eat, glass surfing, impaction, etc) she got better and decided to eat again after we introduced Superworms to her, however she's refused to hunt since.
We'll place crickets or woodies (wood/bush cockroaches) in front of her and she'll watch them but refuse to take them.
I've read up that sometimes Beardies like to wait for their prey to come to them and 'ambush' it, but she lets the insects practically crawl on her without an interest.
She loves Superworms but won't walk across the cage to get them.
When feeding her cockroaches/crickets she'll expect to be hand fed which is a great inconvenience because of the time and the fact they'll often escape.
I've tried putting her in a different tank/box for feeds but she'll refuse to eat outside the tank.
She's still fussy with her vegetables/salads and will only eat Bok Choy and the occasional mouthful of carrot (not very healthy, but she refuses to eat any of the staples.)
Is there any way to coax her back into hunting and any ways to encourage her to eat different veggies?
I don't believe she has anything wrong with her, simply lazy and was babied too much when she was ill.
She is in a 90cm glass tank (tank has background), she has a UVB tube across the length of her tank, hot end of tank is 30-34 degrees Celsius and cold end is 24-27 degrees Celsius and her basking spot is 35-37 degrees Celsius. (Australian temps.)
She goes to the toilet almost every morning or at least every second-third day and has plenty of calcium in her waste.
Besides her eating habits and her slight chubbiness, everything seems to be going alright?
Thanks to those who helped last time, she's a lot happier now that the temps have been fixed a bit.
Still doesn't like to bask though.
It was suggested I lower the night temperatures as they were almost same as day (I had a single red bulb which stayed in the tank 24/7) but she refused to sleep, got really stressed and became impacted after I lowered the temperatures at night to 19-20's even with a lightless bulb.
I've just heightened the temperatures to what they were to settle her again and she seems fine and happy at night, sleeping well, but I'll try to begin lowering them gradually as I know it's important for them to have a day/night cycle with a drop in temp.
Thankyou to anybody who reads this, any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Mak

Bearded Dragon Egg
I forgot to mention, every piece of equipment I own is proper reptile heating supplies.
She has a Exo Terra 100W basking bulb for day and at night has a Exo Terra 100W Infared Heat Bulb (I know it's bad and disrupts sleep cycles, but she refuses to sleep and stressed out horribly when I had a Exo terra, Lightless Ceramic bulb in there.) I need a bulb at night to keep the tank from dropping really low (12-14 degrees Celsius) but so far every one of them has distressed her except for the Infared? I don't want to keep that one in too much longer though because of sleep cycles. Any ideas?
She has a Reptile One 10W or 18W (I'm sorry, I can't recall what it is at the moment, I'd say it's a 10) UVB fluorescent tube along the length of her tank.
For matting I just use the Reptile Carpet sold at pet stores, she hasn't gotten her claws caught or it hasn't threaded, so I'm assuming this one is fine.
I have a Digital thermometers set up in the cool and hot end of the tank and a Regulator which is supposed to keep the temperatures in check, although I suspect it to be faulty as it keeps blowing bulbs and cutting out.
Both are reptile brands, I'm pretty sure both are Exo Terra.
Hope that helps.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Beardies are notoriously lazy animals and when they get older it gets worse. You could try putting her food in a glass bowl with smooth sides where they can't escape and put it in front of her. My older dragons refuse to hunt. My boy loves to be fed from tongs and my girl likes the food to be in front of her but if it crawls out of her range she gives up. Yet she doesn't want me to hand feed her. I've heard from lots of other people that this is the case with their beardies too.

Mak

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you so much for letting me know and the suggestion! I'll be sure to find a container the roaches can't climb yet she can reach into. I thought I must have been doing/done something wrong so it's comforting to know that other Beardies do this too!
My girl won't really feed from tongs either, yet she'll eat from my fingers (which is hard when the insects keep biting and escaping!). Thank you once again for the help last time, and thanks again for letting me know about this!
Good luck with your Beardies!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed my Izzy her roaches, supers out of a clear glass dish I got at Petco (it's the bottom part that is sold sep for a feeding system) the sides are vertical and are about 1 1/2" tall flat bottom about 3-4" across it seems to work really well the adult males can get out sometimes so what I do is..(this is gonna sound mean I cut his 2 back legs off) they are just much longer than the females... I put a few greens and a couple veggies for them to munch on from her salads so they have something and when they move around it gets her attention and will usually go down to investigate and eat..
But yes Izzy will miss her food but hates when they crawl on her she closes her eyes and shakes her body to get them off :)

Reactions: Mak

rob.kolm

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I agree with the bowl idea for feeders.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452441752.578262.jpg

Mak

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feed my Izzy her roaches, supers out of a clear glass dish I got at Petco (it's the bottom part that is sold sep for a feeding system) the sides are vertical and are about 1 1/2" tall flat bottom about 3-4" across it seems to work really well the adult males can get out sometimes so what I do is..(this is gonna sound mean I cut his 2 back legs off) they are just much longer than the females... I put a few greens and a couple veggies for them to munch on from her salads so they have something and when they move around it gets her attention and will usually go down to investigate and eat..
But yes Izzy will miss her food but hates when they crawl on her she closes her eyes and shakes her body to get them off :)

I'm so sorry to have never replied to your message!!!! I thought I had!
Thank you so much for the suggestion, it's been working wonders! She'll happily eat Woodies out of a glass dish we got for her, so thank you so much for advising me and telling me about the bowl idea! Saves a lot of time and effort, I don't have to hold them for her anymore! :D

Beardiegirl27

Hatchling Dragon
As mine has gotten older, she has gotten so lazy! I also keep a bowl inside with dubias in it, and I still offer the greens everyday. If she get hungry she knows they're there. She's just lazy and wants me to bring them to her. I have a white bowl that I use and when she sees that coming she knows she's getting fed! :)