• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Refusal To Eat Crickets

Bearded Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon started to refuse to eat crickets after we ran out and she had to live off superworms and collard greens for a few days. Anyone know what I should do to fix this? after all this happened her colors seem to have gotten darker and her eyes seem to have shrunken in a little bit. She isn't acting any different. She just looks different. Can someone please help me?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Super worms are like crack! Once they get a taste of them they don't want crickets anymore. If you really want to feed crickets you'll have to hold off on the supers for a bit so they don't have any other choice. Do you have a picture of your bearded dragon? It's weird that it would have gotten darker and eyes shrunk. Usually when they get darker they are either getting ready to shed or they are soaking in the heat/UVB. Sunken eyes is a sign of dehydration. You can fix that by giving a warm bath and dripping water on the tip of her nose and getting her to drink. Or give a variety of healthy veggies. Collards are good but so are mustard greens, turnip greens and dandelion. Here is a list of good veggies http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome - how old is your beardie? how long have you had it? I wouldn't eat crickets either (kidding!) but you might find that dubias (roaches) are a viable alternative. I hate crickets - they stink, make noise, and jump around. dubias are much nicer - they don't climb / jump, don't smell, and don't make any noise. I get mine from a guy who advertised on craigslist - we meet at a well lit gas station. you can also order them on line.