• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Refrigerator temperature for feeder insects

How do you store your mealworms between purchase and use?

• In a special, temperature controlled refrigerator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In a cooler area of the house

• Other

• Total voters

Prof

Bearded Dragon Egg
We all know that worms (and some other feeders), if kept in the refrigerator, will reduce their metabolism and, therefore, last longer. However, the recommended temperature for a refrigerator is 35-40F, whereas optimum temperature for mealworms (as an example) for reduced metabolism is 45-50F. For years, I have kept them in my refrigerator anyway and have simply lived with the inevitable loss of those that could not overcome the temperature. However, as I recently became the "foster/rehabber go to person" for the vets in my area for all things lizard and amphibian, a little cost reduction would be good, especially as I have to crank up my mealworm farm production.

So, fellow keepers - what do you do? I have posted a poll asking the question and using obvious "what do you do" answers, but I'd love to hear anything nontraditional here (e.g., corresponds to "other" in the poll).

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
I use portable electric coolers - the kind that fit a sixpack and can plug in to wall plug or 12-volt (car, boat) :0)