• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red toes???

Wallcroft

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

Im a new bearded dragon owner, my little guy has some red toes and its concerning me.

I got him from pet smart (bad choice i know) and 2 days ago i noticed his toes on his left foot are a bit red and he shakes the leg. Im losing sleep over it and wanted some opinions on what it could be. He jumped from my hand after a cage cleaning and fell roughly a foot into his cage and worried his toes might be broken. Sometimes i ntoice his toes curl upwards, but he runs on his feet fine after his crickets.
20220916_201027.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone,

Im a new bearded dragon owner, my little guy has some red toes and its concerning me.

I got him from pet smart (bad choice i know) and 2 days ago i noticed his toes on his left foot are a bit red and he shakes the leg. Im losing sleep over it and wanted some opinions on what it could be. He jumped from my hand after a cage cleaning and fell roughly a foot into his cage and worried his toes might be broken. Sometimes i ntoice his toes curl upwards, but he runs on his feet fine after his crickets.View attachment 32735
They looks swollen -- let me get some help on this --- in the meantime please go over your UVB your using - coil or a long tube fixture -- and how are you taking surface basking temps? Digital probe thermometers are the best and most accurate--- NO stick ons please --- we need to make sure your tank lighting is up to par --- you want a clear solid bright white basking bulb -- no off white or colored bulbs or yellowish please

Wallcroft

Bearded Dragon Egg
They looks swollen -- let me get some help on this --- in the meantime please go over your UVB your using - coil or a long tube fixture -- and how are you taking surface basking temps? Digital probe thermometers are the best and most accurate--- NO stick ons please --- we need to make sure your tank lighting is up to par --- you want a clear solid bright white basking bulb -- no off white or colored bulbs or yellowish please
I have a zilla light and heat dome, 6 inches off basking zone, 12 hour light cycles. I do have a stick on, im waiting for the digital to arrive in the mail still as non of the pet stores have them in stock in my area. I believe the day light is halogen, the light seems a bit yellow so possible lighting issues.

Wallcroft

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a zilla light and heat dome, 6 inches off basking zone, 12 hour light cycles. I do have a stick on, im waiting for the digital to arrive in the mail still as non of the pet stores have them in stock in my area. I believe the day light is halogen, the light seems a bit yellow so possible lighting issues.

Attachments

• 16635168350591897888621356906172.jpg
    16635168350591897888621356906172.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB especially ---- please get a 24" long tube fixture like this for a 40+ gallon https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651
your gonna want a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a 40 gallon and if your using a 20 gallon now use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture --- what brand is the Halogen bulb? If its a Arcadia your good ---
my person I contacted about the toes this is what she said --- you need that digital probe thermometer

was probably bitten at the store, very common , it doesn't look bad though and should heal fine. if you see them get worse you can apply a bit of neosporin with a q-tip. they often curl their toes up while basking when the surface is hot so that's normal.

Wallcroft

Bearded Dragon Egg
UVB especially ---- please get a 24" long tube fixture like this for a 40+ gallon https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood?variant=40651
your gonna want a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for a 40 gallon and if your using a 20 gallon now use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture --- what brand is the Halogen bulb? If its a Arcadia your good ---
my person I contacted about the toes this is what she said --- you need that digital probe thermometer

was probably bitten at the store, very common , it doesn't look bad though and should heal fine. if you see them get worse you can apply a bit of neosporin with a q-tip. they often curl their toes up while basking when the surface is hot so that's normal.
Thank you so much i will buy one today.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much i will buy one today.
When you get the fixture let me know I will help you set it up for your tank- distance will be determined by your screen and bulb-- what size is the tank?

Wallcroft

Bearded Dragon Egg
When you get the fixture let me know I will help you set it up for your tank- distance will be determined by your screen and bulb-- what size is the tank?
It is quite large i think 100+ gallons. Here he is today. Currently shedding im wondering if his toes are from shedding?

Attachments

• 16637030013367877880406279043030.jpg
    16637030013367877880406279043030.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is quite large i think 100+ gallons. Here he is today. Currently shedding im wondering if his toes are from shedding?
Did you get the surface basking temps on his basking rock fixed? The toes will / can swell from shedding - that is common - the 24" fixture will be fine for your 100 gallon tank

Wallcroft

Bearded Dragon Egg
Did you get the surface basking temps on his basking rock fixed? The toes will / can swell from shedding - that is common - the 24" fixture will be fine for your 100 gallon tank
I did get the basking temps corrected, basking temps are constantly 90-95 degrees, 40-45% humidity. The light fixture is ordered and on the way to my house.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did get the basking temps corrected, basking temps are constantly 90-95 degrees, 40-45% humidity. The light fixture is ordered and on the way to my house.
Ok he needs surface basking temps of 105-110 for your baby --- extremely important for digestion --- when the UVB comes in please post and I will help you get it set up for your tank --- I am assuming you got the T 5 ?

Wallcroft

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok he needs surface basking temps of 105-110 for your baby --- extremely important for digestion --- when the UVB comes in please post and I will help you get it set up for your tank --- I am assuming you got the T 5 ?
Yes the exact one you linked me 24".