• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rats?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Has anyone ever kept rats as pets? My friend has babies and I'm considering getting a pair for my kids. I'm doing some research and was hoping maybe someone here would have some input.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welll.. yes actually.
I had a pair of white lab rats, that were retired due to some reason of incompatibility with the testing or something.. I don't quite remember,as this was over 30 years back.
I don't even remember their names, but I will say, they were fastidious in their grooming, and given a large enough enclosure, they had defined defecation places, eating places and sleeping places.
I remember them being quite charming, as they were very smart. I also remember them being very gentle, but then they were handled very well by the staff at the labs.
I would say, like any animal be it mammal or reptile, it all comes down to your own personal practices, consistency of those practices, and the individual animal itself, as to how you all will interact.

Hope that helps out !
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alot will depend on the rat and how it was raised. I raise hooded rats and hairless rats. I've found the hairless to be quite friendly and mild mannered. The hooded rats are gentle, but I've had several go rogue once they were adults. That's not pretty.

I'm on the line as far as rats go for pets. For children, I would consider their ages and their ability to judge circumstance. Anything can bite. And to be bitten by an angry rat is far different than to be bitten by scared one. You'll want to ask yourself exactly what you would do if that came into play.......and hopefully it never will, but as with all things living, it's best to know before hand, rather than later.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I will also go to say that rats make wonderful pets. Far better than hamsters in my opinion. I had a hairless rat named wrinkles. He was a rescue from my old job at the pet store. He was handled daily and was very sweet. And like they mentioned before he made designated spots for the bathroom, sleep and food. They are very intelligent little mammals.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I kept them for about 5 years. They make great pets. so smart and easy to train. Mine listened better then my dogs. I was actually going to get my daughter 2 but then we got the lizards. I had 4 males, got them one at a time but all 4 lived together great and excepted the new guy nicely. They were all so sweet and never attempted to bit. My hairless would always get cut and I would not have another one. I decided not to get females because they go into heat once a month and did not think that was for me. Males are also more docile then females. Martin cages may be a good place to check for a cage. This is where I got my cage from and was more than happy with it. My sister just got 2 rats and she too found they have good cages at a good price. Also I recommend the powder coated cage as the urine eats the metal over time and you will end up having to buy a whole new cage. Hope this helps

ladyknite said:
Alot will depend on the rat and how it was raised. I raise hooded rats and hairless rats. I've found the hairless to be quite friendly and mild mannered. The hooded rats are gentle, but I've had several go rogue once they were adults. That's not pretty.

It was the opposite for me. After living together for 3 years my my hairless went crazy on me and attack my hooded. He would lose the fight every time and had to spend the remainder of his days living alone. It was not long maybe 6 months. They could get along outside the cage just not in.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
I will also go to say that rats make wonderful pets. Far better than hamsters in my opinion. I had a hairless rat named wrinkles. He was a rescue from my old job at the pet store. He was handled daily and was very sweet. And like they mentioned before he made designated spots for the bathroom, sleep and food. They are very intelligent little mammals.

Thats a good name for a hairless. My hairless was named Mr. Whiskers b/c that was all he had a couple of tightly curled whiskers.