• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Random questions

roccostar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Diesel does not go into the cave at all. Ever. Normal? He's very sketchy to get out of the tank to hold him. But once I hold him, he always tries to get to the highest point..(top of couch, or on my shoulders) and then falls asleep. He's still not a fan of vegetables or fruit, but will every so often takes a nibble. Dragon.JPG He loves MEAL WORMS! No on Wax worms. Only will eat bigger crickets (medium, refuses to touch the little ones) Are they this picky!

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, normal? dont think that applies to beardies, there is no standard behaviour. Just when you think you have them figured out, they do something to suprise you. Mine have been hit and miss with hides, my male always used one (now doesnt) and the female never even looked at hers (now shes uses it all the time). My female doesnt like being held, the male doesnt care, but that will probably change when I least expect it too. If they feel exposed, then , like birds, they will try to get to a high vantage point (perhaps so they can see predators coming). You will be lucky if they eat more than a few nibbles of veg when they are young, but you must keep offering them anyway, they will eat more as they get older. You get the vitamins from the veg into them by gut loading your feeders.
Mealworms are not good for young dragons, they are too fatty and have too much chitin, which can cause impaction. Feeding bugs that are too large will cause even more serious problems, impaction and pressure on the spinal column, leading to paralysis and death. You have to exercise some tough love, hunger will overcome pickiness in the end. You could try other feeders, dubias are the best and most nutritious by far and most beardies will eat them, plus they are easy to contain and keep.

roccostar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, normal? dont think that applies to beardies, there is no standard behaviour. Just when you think you have them figured out, they do something to suprise you. Mine have been hit and miss with hides, my male always used one (now doesnt) and the female never even looked at hers (now shes uses it all the time). My female doesnt like being held, the male doesnt care, but that will probably change when I least expect it too. If they feel exposed, then , like birds, they will try to get to a high vantage point (perhaps so they can see predators coming). You will be lucky if they eat more than a few nibbles of veg when they are young, but you must keep offering them anyway, they will eat more as they get older. You get the vitamins from the veg into them by gut loading your feeders.
Mealworms are not good for young dragons, they are too fatty and have too much chitin, which can cause impaction. Feeding bugs that are too large will cause even more serious problems, impaction and pressure on the spinal column, leading to paralysis and death. You have to exercise some tough love, hunger will overcome pickiness in the end. You could try other feeders, dubias are the best and most nutritious by far and most beardies will eat them, plus they are easy to contain and keep.

Oh my goodness, I didn't know about meal worms. I don't give him a lot thank god. For the first time, he let me take him out, without running around the tank hiding from me! It's really cool seeing the changes in him! I have to find a place that sells the dubias. So far I've been to 4 places, and they don't. :( Thanks for the advice!

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Theres not really anywhere to buy dubias around me either. I have to drive about half an hour for some and they're pretty expensive there. I have much better luck ordering them online.