• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Random dying roach (I think)

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
As some of you know because of my previous post I have a recently started colony of not dubias but orange head roaches or eublaberus posticus (which are better in so many ways) and I'll be ordering more tomorrow. I had 38 but I'm now down to 37 because a few minutes ago I found one on his back so I flipped him back over and he was extremely sluggish and not walking right. I was surprised but I figured he was dying and I wanted to put him out of his misery if he was in any so my beardie quickly ended his suffering and took care of him. I'm trying not to feed out of the colony until we reach a few hundred so now I'm thinking should I have done that because was he actually dying or was he just trying to molt because i've had at least 3 molting nymphs lately even though this one was an adult. Do they molt on their backs? Does anyone know? Tarantulas do and tarantulas are fellow arthropods. Well anyway if we was dying I can't think of any real reason except for maybe it was just his time. I mean the tank is large and spacious, running about 78-92 degrees at any given time but hovering around 85. They get enough food and there's lots of water gel cubes in there for drinking and humidity. I always clean out any fruit or vegetables they haven't eaten after a few days so he couldn't have been sick from any mold. The only things I can possibly think of that could have brought him to death's door are when the temperature dropped down to 73 and I quickly fixed the problem but that was days ago and the rest of the colony is thriving and happy. The other thing could be a tiny amount of raw hamburger I gave them last week since orange heads are slightly more carnivorous than other roaches but I don't think they get food poisoning and again that was several days ago with no ill effects to the rest of them. They all seem healthy and I would imagine they'll start having nymphs within a few weeks but I don't want to lose any more at this critical early stage with low starting numbers.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
don't know nothing about nuthin here. idont do very well at breeding dubias ! why are eublaberus posticus better?

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
don't know nothing about nuthin here. idont do very well at breeding dubias ! why are eublaberus posticus better?

Well from what I've researched they're proportionately meatier, easy to care for and extremely fast breeders with a quick growth rate,

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fun freaky fact about dubias, they can keep moving for several hours after death. So even when you find them on their backs with legs waving, they could have been dead for an hour already. I think thats an amazing evolutionary adaptation....not sure of the point of it but hey lol.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Fun freaky fact about dubias, they can keep moving for several hours after death. So even when you find them on their backs with legs waving, they could have been dead for an hour already. I think thats an amazing evolutionary adaptation....not sure of the point of it but hey lol.

That is creepy and kind of nasty lol :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea if they are on their backs and not able to right themselves they are in process or yes already gone. Not sure of the why could be just not a strong bug or if it was just his time lol
I raise Dubia and never really know why sometimes the die off but I never really pay much attention to it as my temps and environment is really stable..now that cooler weather is been showing itself during the night hours I will have to adjust a bit.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea if they are on their backs and not able to right themselves they are in process or yes already gone. Not sure of the why could be just not a strong bug or if it was just his time lol
I raise Dubia and never really know why sometimes the die off but I never really pay much attention to it as my temps and environment is really stable..now that cooler weather is been showing itself during the night hours I will have to adjust a bit.

Yeah that one probably just became too weak to continue on. At least any suffering he may have been experiencing was ended instantly. I ordered some more and I'll keep doing so each month as they start to breed until I have a large colony. Soon it will be time to break out the space heater and it will get even warmer in there..