• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quick question for soon to be beardie owner

Jack9413

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’m currently in the process of getting everything I need and doing my research in order to provide the best possible care to a bearded dragon that I will be getting when all of my boxes are ticked so to speak. One thing that I’m struggling to find a consistent answer to is feeder size, I plan on feeding my beardie Dubai roaches, I’m well aware that since my plan is to get a young beardie I’ll have to get small Dubai’s but I understand the feeder has to be smaller than the space between the dragons eyes. No one ever says if it’s the length or the width of the feeder that has to be no larger than the space between the eyes. I get that in some cases a cricket may fit between they’re eyes based on width but it’s length could be unrealistic for the dragons size, I would appreciate some clarification from other owners, preferably owners who used Dubai’s as a staple as to if it’s length or width I need to look out for.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m currently in the process of getting everything I need and doing my research in order to provide the best possible care to a bearded dragon that I will be getting when all of my boxes are ticked so to speak. One thing that I’m struggling to find a consistent answer to is feeder size, I plan on feeding my beardie Dubai roaches, I’m well aware that since my plan is to get a young beardie I’ll have to get small Dubai’s but I understand the feeder has to be smaller than the space between the dragons eyes. No one ever says if it’s the length or the width of the feeder that has to be no larger than the space between the eyes. I get that in some cases a cricket may fit between they’re eyes based on width but it’s length could be unrealistic for the dragons size, I would appreciate some clarification from other owners, preferably owners who used Dubai’s as a staple as to if it’s length or width I need to look out for.
Great staple feeder length wise for dubias- it's great you did the research but please NO Coils for uvb-- if you need help please ask - the distance and placement is different between the two bulbs w/ the long tube fixture- T 5 and T 8

Jack9413

Bearded Dragon Egg
Great staple feeder length wise for dubias- it's great you did the research but please NO Coils for uvb-- if you need help please ask - the distance and placement is different between the two bulbs w/ the long tube fixture- T 5 and T 8
Ah thank you, and don’t worry I’m well aware that coils for UVB are a no go. I appreciate the help and if I do have any more questions believe me I won’t hesitate to ask.

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am a recent owner also i got my first one on 12/18 of last year he was 5 1\2 inches long i fed him 3/8" Dubai that he had no problem with and within a month he was eating 1\2" and now he eats 1" as far as crickets i only find them offered local as small and large i fed small for 2 months along with wax worms as a treat a few times a week. they grow fast and now he 14". For me the battle was getting him to eat his greens that took 3 months but he eats them fine now. i received a lot of help the people on this site.

Jrodkw

Hatchling Dragon
He still has to chew his food. So length is still a consideration. I would go no longer than the size that fills from his nose to the space between his eyes...if that makes sense. Also if you're getting a baby dragon...I would start with crickets so that he builds up the strength to chew his food. If you start with Dubias right away he may end up rejecting them because they are a little tougher than crickets. I would wait until about the three month mark before switching to Dubias.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He still has to chew his food. So length is still a consideration. I would go no longer than the size that fills from his nose to the space between his eyes...if that makes sense. Also if you're getting a baby dragon...I would start with crickets so that he builds up the strength to chew his food. If you start with Dubias right away he may end up rejecting them because they are a little tougher than crickets. I would wait until about the three month mark before switching to Dubias.
Dubias are a great feeder for babies -- www.dubiaroaches.com has a chart and get the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise --- please go over the husbandry you have or plan to get --- PLEASE NO COILS FOR UVB-- they are a health hazzard and thats putting it lightly
NO colored bulbs No heat mats or rocks and No sand -- if you need more help please ask I will help you --- the TWO MOST IMPORTANT THINGS in the tank are the UVB w/ proper placement and distance and basking temps taken w / a digital probe thermometer that is a MUST - -- I also recommend getting some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com they are a great staple feeder for babies and a great salad lure --- I can help w diet as well

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
As long as its not wider or longer than their head, beardies have very strong jaws and can bite through most bugs if they’re too big (except roaches, these should be the right size) , if he chews and stops to breath , its too big.