• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

questions and help

Macie

Bearded Dragon Egg
So i have a bearded dragon and I don't have that much time to cut up lettuce for him everyday, Is there an easier item to feed him? are there any easy hacks?
I do feed him crickets though, I just don't have a ton of time on my schedule to be cropping up food. Does anyone know a good way for him to get the food he needs? Is there anyway I can pre-make it?

Thank you for your time.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So i have a bearded dragon and I don't have that much time to cut up lettuce for him everyday, Is there an easier item to feed him? are there any easy hacks?
I do feed him crickets though, I just don't have a ton of time on my schedule to be cropping up food. Does anyone know a good way for him to get the food he needs? Is there anyway I can pre-make it?

Thank you for your time.
Yes there is easier way however you shouldn't feed lettuce as it holds zero value other than moisture.. instead use collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens (not from outside unless you know they have not been sprayed)
rinse them, pat dry and store them in ziploc bags layered in paper towels, squeeze the air out ... you can cut up some and store them the same way..
if you want more items that you can feed take a look at the links below my comment and there is a link to foods

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I do it once a week. I cut up and wash collards, dandelion greens, and mustard greens and put them in a ziploc bag with some paper towels and they last quite awhile. I make sure that I squeeze out the air each time I close the bag.

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was thinking of getting those veggie choppers that dice up the vegetables for my guy. Have you guys tried that?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I wash and then cut up all my veggies on sunday after I buy them from the grocery store. I leave them out to dry and then put them in a container or bag with a paper towel and refrigerate them. Very easy to just pull some out every day to feed. I tried lightly blending veggies, but that didn't work from me. Never tried a veggie chopper. Might make it easier for you as long as it'll get the pieces small enough.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I personally don't like the veggie choppers. The ones I used mostly mushed things instead of chopping. I'm faster with a knife anyway. I don't even like those apple slicer things LOL!

Javier

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I personally don't like the veggie choppers. The ones I used mostly mushed things instead of chopping. I'm faster with a knife anyway. I don't even like those apple slicer things LOL!
Well I don't know how to cook. The most I've done was cook for my parrots. But for myself forget it... I burn water! It's hysterical watching me with the damn crickets. And then trying to be an adult and cut up greens and veggies. Ooooj boy this lizard is making me grow [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I don't know how to cook. The most I've done was cook for my parrots. But for myself forget it... I burn water! It's hysterical watching me with the damn crickets. And then trying to be an adult and cut up greens and veggies. Ooooj boy this lizard is making me grow [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yea I'm like Patsy I'm way faster with a knife than anything else.. and once you get to doing it the faster you get and the easier it is. I swear my dragons eat better than me!! well at least greens wise lol

Hopehrl

Hatchling Dragon
It takes little to know time for me to gram a handful of collars and tear them from the stems into pieces, I just use me hands, as well as cutting up a piece of fruit that's in the fridge(what ever we have that week). It takes all in all
Maybe less than 3 minutes a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leisl Seigler

Hatchling Dragon
for what it's worth, I just tear it with my fingers. I'm no good with a knife and I find that it takes me more time to do it that way. I'm a commuter student at the university I attend so my mornings are crunched, too! But to save time, I do it while my breakfast is in the microwave and my coffee brewing. You just have to multitask a little!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Collards are the easiest to cut. Take the leaves and cut along each side of the stem and put the leaves in a pile. Then take your knife and cut the pile length wise 3-4 times then cut the other way into pieces. So quick and easy! For me mustards are the hardest to cut because they are so curly.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
I do it once a week. I cut up and wash collards, dandelion greens, and mustard greens and put them in a ziploc bag with some paper towels and they last quite awhile. I make sure that I squeeze out the air each time I close the bag.
This is what I do as well. For the dragon and the roaches. I just make a batch and store it in a container for the week.

Something that I haven't read yet but I'm sure is mentioned somewhere.....I would buy organic greens if you can. Organic greens equals not sprayed with chemicals. If you can't or its not available, just wash them really really good. Today I bought collard greens. They didn't have organic at my store unfortunately so I jist washed them really good....kinda scrubbed the leaves actually.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk