• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about taking Beardies outside

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
I have a few questions on taking beardies outside.
1. How can I prevent them from eating bugs?
2. What do I do if they eat a bug?
3. Should I put them on a leash?
4. How often can I take them out?
5. Can I put them in the grass?
6. Can I put them on the sidewalk?
7. Any other safety precautions I should take to ensure absolute safety?

Thanks to you all in advance. You all are so helpful

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1. You can prevent them from eating bugs by supervising and avoiding going out in the evening, when fireflies are out. Stay away from places that are full of bugs, and consider getting a playpen to contain them in one area that seems bug free. If people in your area use pesticides, be very vigilant and possibly stay inside. Don't take your beardie to a place with bugs like lubber grasshoppers or other toxic ones.
2. If they eat a bug, open their mouth gently but firmly and remove it to see what kind it is. If you don't see what they ate, check the area to get a good idea of what bugs are around (as long as you aren't out in the evening there is a lower risk of consuming fireflies). Watch the beardie for the next several hours and check for signs of damage done by a toxic bug.
3. If you have a playpen for your yard, a leash is not necessary. However, if you do not have any kind of fence or if they are going to be near a sidewalk, a leash is probably a good idea. Some people cannot control their dogs, cats will attack, birds of prey are a constant threat, and you don't want your beardie running into the road. If you can't watch them constantly, you should probably get a harness.
4. You can take them out whenever as long as it's not dangerous and the weather is nice. If being outside is stressful for the beardie, do it for short amounts of time infrequently until they get used to it, or don't make them go out.
5. You can put them in the grass as long as the grass is untreated and free of dangerous insects or sharp objects.
6. It should be fine as long as you stay in your yard (other people might treat their grass or have pets). Just remember that you are running the risk of your beardie being stepped on, run over by a bike, or attacked by a dog.
7. Keep the temperature and humidity in mind. Remember what insects are toxic and know what they look like. If a dog comes along, scoop up the lizard and go the opposite way. Glance up at the sky every so often to check for hawks. Buy a playpen or leash if you don't have a fence. Tell anyone in your yard to watch their step, especially little ones. Cover/remove anything dangerous your beardie could run under (my guinea pigs love to hide under the grill). If you have a visitor who is afraid of lizards, don't take your bearded dragon out. If you do, warn them and keep the lizard on a leash or playpen. Don't take your lizard to the park-it might scare some people, there could be dogs, and the grass is likely treated. Don't pull too hard on the harness, don't force your beardie to wear it, and make sure it fits correctly and does not have any loose threads.
That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
Tha
1. You can prevent them from eating bugs by supervising and avoiding going out in the evening, when fireflies are out. Stay away from places that are full of bugs, and consider getting a playpen to contain them in one area that seems bug free. If people in your area use pesticides, be very vigilant and possibly stay inside. Don't take your beardie to a place with bugs like lubber grasshoppers or other toxic ones.
2. If they eat a bug, open their mouth gently but firmly and remove it to see what kind it is. If you don't see what they ate, check the area to get a good idea of what bugs are around (as long as you aren't out in the evening there is a lower risk of consuming fireflies). Watch the beardie for the next several hours and check for signs of damage done by a toxic bug.
3. If you have a playpen for your yard, a leash is not necessary. However, if you do not have any kind of fence or if they are going to be near a sidewalk, a leash is probably a good idea. Some people cannot control their dogs, cats will attack, birds of prey are a constant threat, and you don't want your beardie running into the road. If you can't watch them constantly, you should probably get a harness.
4. You can take them out whenever as long as it's not dangerous and the weather is nice. If being outside is stressful for the beardie, do it for short amounts of time infrequently until they get used to it, or don't make them go out.
5. You can put them in the grass as long as the grass is untreated and free of dangerous insects or sharp objects.
6. It should be fine as long as you stay in your yard (other people might treat their grass or have pets). Just remember that you are running the risk of your beardie being stepped on, run over by a bike, or attacked by a dog.
7. Keep the temperature and humidity in mind. Remember what insects are toxic and know what they look like. If a dog comes along, scoop up the lizard and go the opposite way. Glance up at the sky every so often to check for hawks. Buy a playpen or leash if you don't have a fence. Tell anyone in your yard to watch their step, especially little ones. Cover/remove anything dangerous your beardie could run under (my guinea pigs love to hide under the grill). If you have a visitor who is afraid of lizards, don't take your bearded dragon out. If you do, warn them and keep the lizard on a leash or playpen. Don't take your lizard to the park-it might scare some people, there could be dogs, and the grass is likely treated. Don't pull too hard on the harness, don't force your beardie to wear it, and make sure it fits correctly and does not have any loose threads.
That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!
Thank you so much! This was so informative. Thanks again :) :D

RastaMaDukes

Hatchling Dragon
Tha

Thank you so much! This was so informative. Thanks again :) :D

Yes, very informative, dont think i would just let my dragon be out in the yard or even in the house without a harness. They could get in the heating vents or under a couch... just saying... I keep Puff attached to my body so I know right where he is...taking NO NO NO chances... tooo risky.

iris123

Juvenile Dragon
i take my bearded dragon for walks at the park on his harness and he loves it sometimes he'll eat the white/pink clover flowers which are safe for bearded dragons and he'll also eat dandelions lately he's been having problems shedding and i think he might have tail rot so i'm treating him for it

RastaMaDukes

Hatchling Dragon
i take my bearded dragon for walks at the park on his harness and he loves it sometimes he'll eat the white/pink clover flowers which are safe for bearded dragons and he'll also eat dandelions lately he's been having problems shedding and i think he might have tail rot so i'm treating him for it
what causes tail rot??