• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

question about light placement

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
hey.Here is a picture of what I have almost completed. I am going to put in holes in the top tomorrow for the lighting and heating lamps.

please let me know if I should put the heating right in the upper left corner or more towards the middle of the descending staircase? put the UVB light right beside it? the distance from the very top left to the lid is about 8-9 inches just an FYI. and I have a 150watt Zoomed heat lamp if that helps to know also.

DSC_0140.jpg

Ps. I think I am going to put sand in the front channel there between the glass slide rail and the little rock wall. might be a nice contrast with the tile on the 2nd floor surface. wont be eating in there so sand shouldnt be much of a problem, just have to spot clean it often. And that picture above is about 5 days old. I have it all painted now and 4 coats of mod podge. one more coat tomorrow then finish the top and put on the glass front. maybe through a cactus in there or something along the walls?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Wow, looks like you have done a lot of work. It's coming along great. I can't wait to see the pictures of when it's finished ;)

For the lighting question I really can't say where, but I guess just as long as your able to provide a hot and cool side. If you put it in the middle I'm not sure that would be able to work...

As for the sand I got to say not to use it at all. I've seen beardies lick it because they like the taste of it. I don't know why but it was weird to see.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
also.. I did some exact measurements again. the very highest back left corner is about 7 inches to the top. the 2nd highest platform (middle left) is about 9 to 10 inches. think the heat would be best closer to the step between those 2 levels?? with the UV light right to the right of the heat?

Im just waiting to start cutting the holes..

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
With a 150 what bulb i think its going to be way to hot at 9 inches, I have my power sun 100 whats at 12 inches and i get a basking temp of 106 108 I would probably be pushing 120 at 9 inchs.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The right side might work out better 4 u, more possibilities 2 help your dragon regulate it's internal temp.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks. I think Ill go with the 3rd step down.. right middle area. But should the UV lamp go right beside it or put it on the other side? I have them right beside each other in Orion's tank now

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are u using tubes or coil bulbs?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry. There are compact UVB coil bulbs & Florescent bulbs 18'' & up that offer more UVB 2 the enclosure.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have the circular regular shape bulbs for both heat and UV. you know, the old fashioned light bulb shape. does that answer your question?

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
here is 2 pics I just took of where Orion likes to be most the time in relation to how far away the lights are... as you can see the heat lamp is only about 4 inches away from him but not directly underneath him...

Hope this helps to know what he likes ...

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, having them slightly separated is probably better. 4 that enclosure you might want 2 consider an 18-24'' florescent bulb, ZooMed's Repti-sun 10.0 is always recommended.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not that enclosure but the 1 you are working on.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ok so I will put the same heat lamp about midway. and get a longer 18 inch UV lamp to go over the from the back upper to beside the heat lamp. should be good. what about ventilation? I have a 4 by 10 grate on the right side... need a small one also on the top or is that one on the side enough?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You have 2 have a hot & cold side. If ur putting the heat lamp on the right side of the enclosure it gives u a cold side 2 the left. Your dragon needs to be able 2 regulate his temp, they do this by changing positions, retreating to shade or the cool side. This is very important for digestion & overall health of your dragon. If the vent is on the right side (basking side), u can crack (partially open) the sliding door on the left 2 help keep the opposite side cooler. 18'' UVB would be better, more reliable source of UVB 4 the enclosure.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Set basking light over the 1st landing of the staircase in the new enclosure, that will be the hot side. When u are able 2 get an 18'' UVB, place that bulb over the center of the enclosure.

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
when you say first landing, you mean the landing that is in the middle height of the new enclosure??

Spikeithard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
the first landing seems a bit too low even for a 150 watt heat bulb?? its about 13.5 inches of space from floor to bulb. seems like too much space.. i guess I could lower the bulb in so its around 12 inches away?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Test the temps b4 u install the top.