• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ques About Fruit

sandfire9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh thank you so much Renee! I've read it so far and a question keeps me in doubt... what sorts of fruits can i use as a salad combination? Or what fruits are more essential in the beardie's diet?? [=:?]

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ques About Fruit

Fruits are good as a treat and should not be a staple in their regular diets.

Consider piling up veggies like butternut squash, squash, red cabbage, green pepper, zuccini, sweet potato.
Then pile up your greens on top like collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, carrot tops (green part), broccoli leaves (not the flour, the leaf on the stem), etc.

These are just a few. You'll have to play around to see which your beardie likes. Make sure the salad pieces are no larger than the space between their eyes.

Fruits to offer are strawberries, blueberries, grapes, apples. Again, just a sample to get you going.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If I am understanding your question right, salad should be offered to all bearded dragons. Beardies under 1 year old do not always eat their salad mix. It should still be offered daily. This will prepare them for adulthood when it will be their main meal. The trick to get them to eat it is to put the greens on top of the veggies. They have to eat the not so loved greens to get to their favorite veggies.

Key is to make sure the veggies and greens are no larger than the space between their eyes. this goes for proteins too. Crickets should be no larger than the space between their eyes.

beardielover

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
butternut squash has been known to be pretty successful in getting beardies to eat. although not in season, you can still get it relatively cheap. cut some up and shred some collard greens on top.

sandfire9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
okies doikies i got that in hand to! The way i have organized his diet is like this: a week i give him collard greens next week is mustard greens and the next is squash but i give them by feeding him in hand is that ok? He won't eat them in his plate :( oh and crickets i feed one day yes and one day no... I also need q's about the fruit um like renee mentioned before are those also good for juveniles??

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bearded Dragons under 1 year old should get crickets daily. They should be eating anywhere from 25 to 50 per day. After they reach 1 year old, you can offer protein every other day.

For salad, I would offer a variety daily. They should be offered veggies and greens daily. For example, cut up some squash and sweet potato. Then cut up your collard greens. Offer all three to your beardie.

Also, make sure all food is no larger than the space between his eyes.

Yes, all fruit is good for all beardies, no matter their age. Bearded dragons under 1 year old do not always eat their salad, but it should always be offered. Adult beardies will rely on their veggies as their daily food source.

Hand feeding is fine if you have the time and patience.

sandfire9

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh thank you so much Renee! Now I know what to expect from my happy Beardie! I'll print this info! ^^

LizardLady4

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i give my male Bannana's. he goes BONKERS for banana's and its so funny to watch him eat it.He also love grannysmith apples and cauliflower.He will eat strawberry's and blueberry's too but banana;s seem to be his fave for sure

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They are fine but do not hold any nutritional value. Although, they do contain a lot of water. I would not count it as a staple. In other words, go ahead and give them cucumbers, but ensure you have other good veggies in there like sweet potato, butternut squash, collard greens, etc.