• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Putting together Doug’s new 4x2x2... lighting question

Alex Harkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
Doug is now 3 1/2 months old and growing like crazy! I purchased a 4x2x2 DIYcage.com enclosure and it included two bulb fixtures, but I wanted to use a tube for his UVB. Which fixture is best to order for this? I thought about getting the reptisun terrarium hood at my petsmart, but I saw mixed answers when people asked if it could be mounted inside. Also, for this size, which tube and bulb wattage should I try? We keep the house at a constant 70degrees, if that helps. Thanks!

Attachments

• 525046DA-5F06-41D0-A00E-79D42AD70C73.jpeg
    525046DA-5F06-41D0-A00E-79D42AD70C73.jpeg
    825.5 KB · Views: 78
  • B49BD7FE-E9C8-4AF7-B48C-8F621FB2857A.jpeg
    B49BD7FE-E9C8-4AF7-B48C-8F621FB2857A.jpeg
    777.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 369A5802-3C58-43C1-A8B1-01B80C299F41.jpeg
    369A5802-3C58-43C1-A8B1-01B80C299F41.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

ajones1

Bearded Dragon Egg
this is the best bulbs and what is recommended on a forum I belong to --
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- the UVB has nothing to do w/ heat---- that would be a good basking bulb- it sometimes depends on the temp of the room you have them in at least mine does - I have a 4x2x2 Zen Habitat and I use a 150 watt Exo Terro bulb - added in winter a CHE --- my UVB is a Zoo Med hood flat fixture for a 14 % Arcadia bulb--- basking temps should be 100-110 for a baby and 95-105 for a adult ---
kaylyn

Hello! Is there a safe bulb that can be gotten for the domes without buying an entire fluorescent fixture? I’ve looked at fixtures but it seems to get pretty pricey.

KatKuMo

Hatchling Dragon
I had to get a tube fixture from amazon that was intended for blacklights. It was the only one I could find with wattage that was appropriate for the bulb, those at least need to be close, so it's more than just the UVB outbput, pay attention to the wattage if you get a tube fixture. If the wattage of the fixture is way less than the bulb, it won't help the bulb output all that it is supposed to.

ajones1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes they are pricey but in the long run its gonna be better for your dragon--- I know they have the SolarGlo which is a all n one bulb w/ the UVB / heat -- the only thing is you cant control the heat at times having to give up either the correct heat or UVB of which you dont want to do -- so I would either try and put money away for the fixture --- where have you looked ? I know I got mine from www.pangeareptiles.com and I got the Reptisun T 5 fixture that came w/ a 5.0 HO bulb but then I ordered the Arcadia 14% bulb extra -- you can get just the fixture from them a T 5 for $32---that Arcadia bulb is $25 -- and then the Reptisun 10.0 bulb is $20 --- then you have the extra 5.0 bulb that is equivalent to a T 8 that can be used it just needs to be 6-8 inches from basking versus the 10-11 for the 10.0 bulb and the Arcadia is 13 inches that is what is recommended on the box--- so no coil is good --- they have done many studies on these coils and they just arent good and have harmful effects on the dragons-- also the T 8 would need to be changed out in 6 months whereas the T 5 and Arcadia one year --- I can give you a website that you can take this question and ask more experienced people w/ those all in one --- SoloGlo bulbs ---- they would be better to ask tell them that your building Doug a tank and size etc ---- www.beardeddragon.org---- I do not know the life expectancy of these all in one either-----
kaylyn

Thank you for the info. I think I need to up the wattage of my basking light and fix the UVB lighting. I’ve also read that you can get an infrared temp. Checker, so that is in the works as well. I build my guy, Rex, a new enclosure and he is doing well. He had been hiding behind one of his platforms though, so I’m not sure what that’s all about. He has a tall platform to go under but he keeps squeezing behind another. I’m hoping I can get the new lighting soon. The hubs is getting a bit irritated with all my beardie spending.

ajones1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes they are pricey but in the long run its gonna be better for your dragon--- I know they have the SolarGlo which is a all n one bulb w/ the UVB / heat -- the only thing is you cant control the heat at times having to give up either the correct heat or UVB of which you dont want to do -- so I would either try and put money away for the fixture --- where have you looked ? I know I got mine from www.pangeareptiles.com and I got the Reptisun T 5 fixture that came w/ a 5.0 HO bulb but then I ordered the Arcadia 14% bulb extra -- you can get just the fixture from them a T 5 for $32---that Arcadia bulb is $25 -- and then the Reptisun 10.0 bulb is $20 --- then you have the extra 5.0 bulb that is equivalent to a T 8 that can be used it just needs to be 6-8 inches from basking versus the 10-11 for the 10.0 bulb and the Arcadia is 13 inches that is what is recommended on the box--- so no coil is good --- they have done many studies on these coils and they just arent good and have harmful effects on the dragons-- also the T 8 would need to be changed out in 6 months whereas the T 5 and Arcadia one year --- I can give you a website that you can take this question and ask more experienced people w/ those all in one --- SoloGlo bulbs ---- they would be better to ask tell them that your building Doug a tank and size etc ---- www.beardeddragon.org---- I do not know the life expectancy of these all in one either-----
kaylyn

Thank you for the info. I think I need to up the wattage of my basking light and fix the UVB lighting. I’ve also read that you can get an infrared temp. Checker, so that is in the works as well. I build my guy, Rex, a new enclosure and he is doing well. He had been hiding behind one of his platforms though, so I’m not sure what that’s all about. He has a tall platform to go under but he keeps squeezing behind another.
this is the best bulbs and what is recommended on a forum I belong to --
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- the UVB has nothing to do w/ heat---- that would be a good basking bulb- it sometimes depends on the temp of the room you have them in at least mine does - I have a 4x2x2 Zen Habitat and I use a 150 watt Exo Terro bulb - added in winter a CHE --- my UVB is a Zoo Med hood flat fixture for a 14 % Arcadia bulb--- basking temps should be 100-110 for a baby and 95-105 for a adult ---
kaylyn
Can I use a Zilla fixture with a reptisun bulb?

ajones1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Currently the UVB is compact bulb so I’m looking at getting the fluorescent fixture and UVB. My wall gage has his cage at 84, but idk the direct basking spot temp. I just built this cage so I’m definitely learning adjustments need to be made. I’m using what U had from the 20 gallon. He’s now got a 4x2x2.

Attachments

• 761321E9-6BF3-4C69-AD6C-1E290333E7F7.jpeg
    761321E9-6BF3-4C69-AD6C-1E290333E7F7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42