• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Puffs doing better at being out of her tank

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Puff and I have struggled with her out of the tank time. I think its more me then her. Im just so nervous shell run off and be impossible to catch. Usually i just get her in my hands and pet her and talk to her and walk around the house. This weekend we decided to try letting her have a little more freedom. She climbed on my shoulder and arm and got down on my bed for a bit. I picked her up when she was about to climb my leather headboard. I dont think she minded the change but when we got back to her tank she ran down my arm and hopped back in. I cant wait to get home and try again.
Any tips from anyone?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385401266624.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385401266624.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 58

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
Yesterday I got home and got Puff out again. She sat in my hands a minute then hopped on my shirt. I thought she was going to climb to my shoulder and she did...then to the middle of my back and dangled there. Perfectly out of reach lol. She just hung there a bit face down. When I backed up to the tank she waited a minute then hopped back in. I know I shouldnt be so worried but do you think she would have eventually readjusted and come back to my shoulder or somewhere or what. Im afraid shell hop off and run away. Am I just over worred?? Tips please! Whats the best way to get her used to being out?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She sounds like she's used to being out, you just need to get used to her being out! Don't worry too much, you are in your house not outside, nothing is going to get her, she's not going to go far. From my experience they can run fast but not fast enough, especially if you keep an eye on her. She may have readjusted herself and gone back up to your shoulder or she may have just sat there on your back upside down for an hour making it impossible for you to sit LOL!

You do get used to it. With us, our safe zone has always been the couch. I can put Dexter on the back of the couch and she has free run and I know that she is going to always be somewhere on the couch and she's not going to get lost there.

kic90army

Juvenile Dragon
So Puff and I have hit a snag. Shes good about being out with me in the bedroom. Once we leave the bedroom all bets are off. I know sometimes my dog (4lbs chihuahua) freaks her out but other times it just seems to be entering the room. Well keep working at it

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Hi just a little thought but is there a lot goin on in the room? I got Diego just over 2 weeks ago and his viv is in the hall on a stand. Wen we first go him home we'd shut all the doors in the hall we we'd get him out and then once he was out we could put him down on the floor so he could have a free run around the hall (it has no furniture in and he cant get out anywhere) once hes had a good look around then he would cum bak over and climb on me for a stroke and a cuddle. And every couple of days we introduced him 2 a new room of the house (having to cover any gaps he could slide under or holes where he could get stuck with towels, blankets, pillows, ect... Coz he is only a bby n I wudnt want him to get hurt or stuck) and at first he would freek out a bit a refuse to get off me and cling on but after a few mins he settles n has a run around. ;)