• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pros and cons of owning a bearded dragon

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The pros are the joy you get from interacting with them on a daily basis. They are very sweet lizards. They love to be interacted with but are also content with just sitting around doing nothing.

The cons would be the costs involved. After the initial set up costs you have to figure in monthly costs for bugs and veggies. Replacement lighting when the basking bulb and or dome goes out. UVB depending on type should be replaced every 6 months to a year. Vet bills, medicines, supplements.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pro's: like PatsyB said the interaction with them, learning their personalities, watching them learn things...They are super sweet and I just love having Izzy.

Con's: yep the initial set up $, depending on what you feed can be costly unless you breed them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
As much as Luci makes me crazy I am so glad that I have one dragon that is chill and calm and the other that is completely hyper most of the time. It balances things out and it's great to see their personalities develop.

I can't wait to see your little guy/girl :D

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
SERIOUSLY - the cost is minimal compared to other critters. i know folks who spend a LOT on their cats and dogs. Pros ? they're amazing creatures God has given us. What a blessing to be allowed to share their lives and care for them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
SERIOUSLY - the cost is minimal compared to other critters. i know folks who spend a LOT on their cats and dogs. Pros ? they're amazing creatures God has given us. What a blessing to be allowed to share their lives and care for them.

That's true. I think the initial set up of getting the tank and the decor and the lighting right is the most expensive. Once you get that down it's smooth sailing. As far as the food I buy supers once every 6 months because I buy thousands at a time. Crickets I buy every two months. Hornworms once a month. The veggies are really nothing. Plus these are all things you can breed and grow on your own at home to save costs.

My cats get dry food and wet food that lasts us maybe 2 weeks. Plus litter and treats and scratching posts. Not to mention Sasha's grooming costs as much as my haircut does!

This has me thinking now. Next year I want to keep a list on how much I spend on my cats vs all my reptiles!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I think one thing you really need to think about before you get a bearded dragon is their life span. They can live 10 years, what are you going to be doing in 10 years? Are you going to be living at home? Are you going to be living in a place that you can have animals? How about sooner, in 3 years are you going to go to college, military? What is going to happen to it then?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
PatsyB you make a very good point to think about on the pro's and con's: As yes they are really interesting and fun... BUT They are a LONG term commitment which means making sure you have a stable reliable housing situation, you need to make sure you can afford to buy the needed food items/ supplements/vit's/lighting/heating to keep them healthy, be able to pay for vet visits to make sure they remain healthy throughout their entire life..
I guess making sure that you are thinking LONG term 10-12 years is a long time and alot of $

MetalicPheonix

Juvenile Dragon
Going to college pretty much then vet school.now that I think about it im probably gonna rent or live with a friend

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Oh and I have two more years to go to graduate from high school

I know. I just want you to really think your future and the future of your bearded dragon that you want to get. I don't think your mom wants to take care of it when you can't. It's a commitment. I am a lot older than you and I can't go on vacation longer than a few days because I don't have anyone to take care of my reptiles.

I know a lot of animals get abandoned. I just read a somewhere that said in college towns when kids go home for the summer, if you go by the garbage cans you will find cages and tanks and some times they find reptiles and birds and what not because the kids just leave them behind. I'm not saying that you are irresponsible, I don't know you, but it's something to think about. There are some kids that do wan to do right by the animals. I talked to a lady in a craft store a few months ago who's nephew lived in a dorm and he had an iguana. He couldn't keep the iguana in the dorm so she offered to keep it in her house until he graduated. When he graduated he found a place to live that accepted animals and he took the iguana with him. Of course by the time he graduated, she was totally in love with it and was sad when he took it home with him!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well said PatsyB. It is sad to know that some critters don't get the love and commitment they deserve, and way too many people don't think long term when buying/adopting, they tend to act in the moment of what a cool pet... I am lucky to have a close friend that loves Izzy and the rest of the gang and when we're away for short times she jumps at the opportunity :) But we still only are away for a couple of days at a time as with 3 cats, 1 large dog, fish and while my rescued bird was alive (she was alot of work) and Izzy that's alot to leave to others (not to mention no one does things the way we do things right lol)

MetalicPheonix

Juvenile Dragon
I know. I just want you to really think your future and the future of your bearded dragon that you want to get. I don't think your mom wants to take care of it when you can't. It's a commitment. I am a lot older than you and I can't go on vacation longer than a few days because I don't have anyone to take care of my reptiles.

I know a lot of animals get abandoned. I just read a somewhere that said in college towns when kids go home for the summer, if you go by the garbage cans you will find cages and tanks and some times they find reptiles and birds and what not because the kids just leave them behind. I'm not saying that you are irresponsible, I don't know you, but it's something to think about. There are some kids that do wan to do right by the animals. I talked to a lady in a craft store a few months ago who's nephew lived in a dorm and he had an iguana. He couldn't keep the iguana in the dorm so she offered to keep it in her house until he graduated. When he graduated he found a place to live that accepted animals and he took the iguana with him. Of course by the time he graduated, she was totally in love with it and was sad when he took it home with him!

Yea I see your point im probably not gonna live in a dorm but in a apartment that or living with a friend the college I want to go is very far away I already plann what im gonna do when it time for me to go to college but I would never abandon my pets

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yea I see your point im probably not gonna live in a dorm but in a apartment that or living with a friend the college I want to go is very far away I already plann what im gonna do when it time for me to go to college but I would never abandon my pets

That's good to hear. We just want to make sure you are ready for this :)