• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proper temp for bath?

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Title really says it all, what should bath temp be? I use a digital temp and just put the probe right into the water. I usually keep it below 100 degrees to keep it safe, but since I have this vast source of knowledge (you guys), why not use it!? Oh, and how hot is too hot?

Thanks in advance

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
90-100 is the typical range, though your dragon will give you a lot of input towards what he wants. Dr. evil, my oldest male, prefers just a tad over 100.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That can be different for different beardies. Typically I would say not above 95*. My guy used to love the temp at 88*. If it was above that he would just sit there and do nothing. Once it his around 88* he was off to the races. Not trying to get out but swimming to beat the band.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I took a few nice pics of bath time! I'll post them in under beardie pics so everyone can see!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah, Sam doesn't like it as hot as Frodo. I usually start them both off around 95*. Regardless of where the temperature is, Frodo will just sit there....lifeless. Sometimes he'll dip his head and drink the water. Mostly, he just sits there waiting for me to take him back out. Sam, on the other hand, if I put her in at 95*, she'll start running around trying to climb the walls. Then when it cools down just a couple degrees, she relaxes. So I agree with Li, the dragon will give you an idea of what temp it likes.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How do you gets get the temps on the water? I test the water like I do when giving my kids a bath, on the inside of my arm. I do not know the exact temps. I do know that Oscar like cooler baths and Slyder likes fairly warm baths.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a zoo-med digital thermometer, the probe is water proof, I just drop it into the water. I got it from petco, I think it cost...7 dollars? worthy investment

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
will have to see if the one I have is ok with water...if not will have to pick on up

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use a digital temp gun. A PE-1 to be exact.

tempgun_closecrop404.jpg

tarichardi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger-I have that same temp. gun. Never thought about using it for bath temp. Thanks!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The guns or a digital thermometer really is the best way to test. You will be surprised how "off" the arm test can be in regards to what you think the temp is of the water.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WOW,

can it really be that hot? I was told to measure the bath temps on my wrist like for a babies bath... Definately nowhere near 95-100 deg.

Will have to adjust my temps... Maybe then Pogie will like bathtime more

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I shoot for about 95 max. Not sure what caused me to come to that conclusion, but it's what I've done for the last 4 years. Once the water cools down to around 88, I top it off with some hot water to bring the temp back up.

northface75

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
100 degree water doesnt FEEL that hot to the touch so definitely dont use that arm method to try and guesstimate the temp. gotta have the digital thermometer or temp gun.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got a digital thermometer. Measured her bath water today... Came to 100.4 deg (38 deg C) She loved it

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pogie said:
Got a digital thermometer. Measured her bath water today... Came to 100.4 deg (38 deg C) She loved it

Cool! 8)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's great. I definitely wouldn't go any higher though.