• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Prevention for parasites

Srhart2177

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was wondering if anyone on here does a preventative for parasites on their beardie? I have a rescue beardie that was only fed crickets (I hate crickets because they carry all sorts of stuff) he is a picky eater and doesn’t poop often for me to get him checked. I’d like to do some sort of prevention until he poops again to get him tested. I’ve heard people using panacur, what’s the dose amount and there are so many different ones online I don’t know what to get.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was wondering if anyone on here does a preventative for parasites on their beardie? I have a rescue beardie that was only fed crickets (I hate crickets because they carry all sorts of stuff) he is a picky eater and doesn’t poop often for me to get him checked. I’d like to do some sort of prevention until he poops again to get him tested. I’ve heard people using panacur, what’s the dose amount and there are so many different ones online I don’t know what to get.
Please get a fecal test done- please do not administer any meds w/ out knowing first if you actually need to - best prevention is correct surface basking temps-- and a good uvb No coils- dragons can control the parasites if given the correct husbandry- they all have small amounts of parasites it's when they get out of control + crickets can cause parasites I always recommend dubia roaches

Srhart2177

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get a fecal test done- please do not administer any meds w/ out knowing first if you actually need to - best prevention is correct surface basking temps-- and a good uvb No coils- dragons can control the parasites if given the correct husbandry- they all have small amounts of parasites it's when they get out of control + crickets can cause parasites I always recommend dubia roaches
I feed dubia completely and hornworm as treat along with soldier fly larva. I do not feed crickets to any of my animals or my rehab reptiles. Since he came to me he’s had perfect heat (100 basking give or take a few) and Arcadia 12% UVB. I’m getting him on a probiotic to get him more regular with going to the bathroom. I’ll get a fecal test done as soon as he goes again he just seems to go very sparingly since he’s such a picky eater (which I’m trying to get better)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed dubia completely and hornworm as treat along with soldier fly larva. I do not feed crickets to any of my animals or my rehab reptiles. Since he came to me he’s had perfect heat (100 basking give or take a few) and Arcadia 12% UVB. I’m getting him on a probiotic to get him more regular with going to the bathroom. I’ll get a fecal test done as soon as he goes again he just seems to go very sparingly since he’s such a picky eater (which I’m trying to get better)
Most dragons do not poop on a regular basis- mine poop every 3 weeks to a month

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s in the tank, about 8-10 inches from the basking spot
Ok is she basking ok like periods of time --- 8-10 inches for a 12% bulb could be too strong -- and is the basking decor directly underneath ?

Srhart2177

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok is she basking ok like periods of time --- 8-10 inches for a 12% bulb could be too strong -- and is the basking decor directly underneath ?
No is not directly underneath, the highest point is sideways of the light. and normally he stays lower about 14 inches away. He has multiple platforms the closest one is 10 inches away. He’s in a 4x2x2 enclosure with lots of hiding and basking areas with a hot and cool end. He just went 5 years being neglected of good uvb and proper food so it’s taking him a little while to be 100% which is expected.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No is not directly underneath, the highest point is sideways of the light. and normally he stays lower about 14 inches away. He has multiple platforms the closest one is 10 inches away. He’s in a 4x2x2 enclosure with lots of hiding and basking areas with a hot and cool end. He just went 5 years being neglected of good uvb and proper food so it’s taking him a little while to be 100% which is expected.
If you can I would get a piece of basking decor directly underneath w/ distance 12-15 inches --- that is normal distance for a T 5 or 12% bulb and in the tank

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Most dragons do not poop on a regular basis- mine poop every 3 weeks to a month
That's a bit extreme, if either of mine are longer than 3 days I start to worry (a bit neurotic). Usually it's at least every other day. A week is the longest they've ever gone. They do tend to like to go while in their bath which they get 2x a week.