• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pre-brumation fattening?

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi there! Just wondering if anyone else’s beardie becomes an eating machine and packs on weight at this time of year and/or before their brumation. Last year my Spike gained huge amounts of weight. I didn’t notice any changes in his appetite and thought the weight gain was my fault. He brumated from Oct to Feb and once awake, his appetite was just ‘meh’. Every morning I made him an attractive little salad and every afternoon I tossed the untouched salad out. About a month or so ago (around the same time his weight returned to a healthy range), he’s started devouring every last little piece of his salads. I even need to be careful to keep my fingers away from his salad as in his feeding frenzy, fingers are fair game. His weight is starting to climb again and I’m just wondering if this is going to be his ‘normal’ brumation cycle. Lowest weight is 565 Gm and highest is 680 Gm.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi there! Just wondering if anyone else’s beardie becomes an eating machine and packs on weight at this time of year and/or before their brumation. Last year my Spike gained huge amounts of weight. I didn’t notice any changes in his appetite and thought the weight gain was my fault. He brumated from Oct to Feb and once awake, his appetite was just ‘meh’. Every morning I made him an attractive little salad and every afternoon I tossed the untouched salad out. About a month or so ago (around the same time his weight returned to a healthy range), he’s started devouring every last little piece of his salads. I even need to be careful to keep my fingers away from his salad as in his feeding frenzy, fingers are fair game. His weight is starting to climb again and I’m just wondering if this is going to be his ‘normal’ brumation cycle. Lowest weight is 565 Gm and highest is 680 Gm.
Could be are you checking weight and keeping him hydrated thru brumation?

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Could be are you checking weight and keeping him hydrated thru brumation?
If he wakes a little…comes out of his hide, I check his weight and offer him yummies. Usually he wants nothing to do with anything and goes back to sleep after less than a day. Last brumation, he woke only once about 3-4 weeks in and for the remainder of his brumation I was lucky if he faced his hide’s opening so I could see his face. He went into brumation at his heaviest of 680 Gm and at the end he was 615 Gm. Negative for parasites. Doesn’t drink from a bowl. Has never had even one urate that wasn’t pure white/cream colored. I just was wondering if his appetite has increased so much because he getting ready for brumation. Is that a ‘thing’?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he wakes a little…comes out of his hide, I check his weight and offer him yummies. Usually he wants nothing to do with anything and goes back to sleep after less than a day. Last brumation, he woke only once about 3-4 weeks in and for the remainder of his brumation I was lucky if he faced his hide’s opening so I could see his face. He went into brumation at his heaviest of 680 Gm and at the end he was 615 Gm. Negative for parasites. Doesn’t drink from a bowl. Has never had even one urate that wasn’t pure white/cream colored. I just was wondering if his appetite has increased so much because he getting ready for brumation. Is that a ‘thing’?
I am not sure - but I would get him out during the brumation at least every 2 weeks to watch his weight and offer water- drop on his nose to see if he will lick - w/ him going into brumation heavy I wouldnt worry about him but I would get a weight on him when he does start his brumation so you can keep track of it

Savra mitera

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am not sure - but I would get him out during the brumation at least every 2 weeks to watch his weight and offer water- drop on his nose to see if he will lick - w/ him going into brumation heavy I wouldnt worry about him but I would get a weight on him when he does start his brumation so you can keep track of it
Many thanks for the info. :)