• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Potential New Beardie Owner???

Swanny297

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all, my son (11) has been researching bearded dragons and we have decided to take the plunge. I have read a lot of care information but there is a ton of terrarium info out there. I have read mixed reviews on the starter kits so I need some advice so I don’t buy twice we will probably getting most from PetSmart to start and I want to have it right before I let him buy the dragon - give me your set up ideas?

1. 40 gallon to start
2. Basking light - I would like it to sit on top.
3. UVB light again I would it to sit on top.
4. Hammock?? Or structure under basking light
5. Other structure ideas (guessing I need a food and water bowl)
6. Temp/humidity gauges
7. Infrared thermometer I already have
8. Matt - I was thinking the exo sand mat??!

What am I missing just for his/her housing needs? We live in Louisiana - night temp with AC is about 71-72, daytime temps about 74-75. We had iguanas in college but it has been a bit....

TIA
Clint

Crabs Mcjones

Juvenile Dragon
Welcome to The Bearded Dragon Forum!
40 Breeder is perfect
You can get dome lamp fixtures that sit on top for your basking and hood fixtures for uvb, just make sire it's long enough to cover at minimum 2/3 of the enclosure. The Reptisun 10.0 is by far my favorite and arguably the most popular.
Beardies love hammocks. Other items you can get are caves and hides for your new beardie friend to feel safe. As well as treated wood for them to climb on.
Beardies will want to primarily eat bugs when they're little. Great options include Dubia roaches, crickets, wax worms, meal worms. For veggies you'll want to offer dark greens such as collards, mustard greens, dandelion greens, bok choy leaves, occasionally kale. Never spinach though.
Dont forget your calcium supplement and multivitamins supplement. You want to dust his food in these every feeding for calcium, and weekly for multivitamin. I prefer Rep-Cal. It's a great product and it's available pretty much everywhere.
I hope this helps :)

Swanny297

Bearded Dragon Egg
Appreciate the help, I sent you a PM.

Welcome to The Bearded Dragon Forum!
40 Breeder is perfect
You can get dome lamp fixtures that sit on top for your basking and hood fixtures for uvb, just make sire it's long enough to cover at minimum 2/3 of the enclosure. The Reptisun 10.0 is by far my favorite and arguably the most popular.
Beardies love hammocks. Other items you can get are caves and hides for your new beardie friend to feel safe. As well as treated wood for them to climb on.
Beardies will want to primarily eat bugs when they're little. Great options include Dubia roaches, crickets, wax worms, meal worms. For veggies you'll want to offer dark greens such as collards, mustard greens, dandelion greens, bok choy leaves, occasionally kale. Never spinach though.
Dont forget your calcium supplement and multivitamins supplement. You want to dust his food in these every feeding for calcium, and weekly for multivitamin. I prefer Rep-Cal. It's a great product and it's available pretty much everywhere.
I hope this helps :)