• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Post brumation black beard

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Anyone have experience with a female displaying black beard after waking up from brumation? Lord have mercy she is active and ready to run around. but I've never seen her black beard like this. Ive seen multiple people say they've seen this from their females after waking up on other forums/sites. What is the deal with that?

Honeybadger

Hatchling Dragon
Bearded dragon mating season is normally right after brumation so she is probably ready to mate and looking for a male. My female gets like this every time she wakes up too, I call it being "Spring horny"

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Last year was the first year mine went fully down for brumation. I didn't get a black beard from my girls but it took months before Dolly would eat live bugs. I had to syringe feed her, it was such a pain in the ass LOL!

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is the first time mine has ever actually gone down fully for brumation too. And it was a longggg nap. Everything has been perfectly normal except that she's been desperate to get out and roam. She's been sprinting around in the backyard all day every day and it does seem like she's looking for something. so it would make sense she might be seeking a mate. That must be what she's up to. Im exhausted just watching her haha.