• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

possible respiratory infection?

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
we have had some quite hot and humid weather where we live, and my beardie has recently started gaping when he’s not hot on especially humid days (which i think is breathing through the mouth) he is also very lethargic, all he wants to do is go to his hide and sleep. he eats a little, but not always, and doesn’t attempt to eat the dubia roaches i give him. i’m not sure of this, i have been listening closely to his breathing and i might just be imagining it but his throat clicks sometimes, and i swear i heard a very small snuffle. i might just be imagining things, but i just want him to be alright. i have ordered a dehumidifier, and his hygrometer currently reads pretty high humidity levels, around 60% but that may be because today is pretty humid. he also hasn’t had any bowel movement in a while, probably around 2 weeks or more.

Attachments

• 8E9397BD-696F-400C-8F66-8418E830B0CE.jpeg
    8E9397BD-696F-400C-8F66-8418E830B0CE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum :) beautiful dragon, has he gotten wet at all? I live in FL and my beardy stays outside most days, they can really only get a respiratory infection if they get wet every day , have a water dish, have a dusty enclosure, mouth gaping is a good thing , means hes regulating his temperature, the Lethargy and not wanting to eat is concerning though can you tell us what kind of lighting your bearded dragon has? Absolutely NO “coil”/compact” uvb, he needs a long tubular uvb.

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
we have had some quite hot and humid weather where we live, and my beardie has recently started gaping when he’s not hot on especially humid days (which i think is breathing through the mouth) he is also very lethargic, all he wants to do is go to his hide and sleep. he eats a little, but not always, and doesn’t attempt to eat the dubia roaches i give him. i’m not sure of this, i have been listening closely to his breathing and i might just be imagining it but his throat clicks sometimes, and i swear i heard a very small snuffle. i might just be imagining things, but i just want him to be alright. i have ordered a dehumidifier, and his hygrometer currently reads pretty high humidity levels, around 60% but that may be because today is pretty humid. he also hasn’t had any bowel movement in a while, probably around 2 weeks or more.
Sounds like there might be something wrong. Make sure you have the correct temperatures in his enclosure, and try to keep it as dry as possible. I also suggest talking to a vet about it. Best of luck

lionthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum :) beautiful dragon, has he gotten wet at all? I live in FL and my beardy stays outside most days, they can really only get a respiratory infection if they get wet every day , have a water dish, have a dusty enclosure, mouth gaping is a good thing , means hes regulating his temperature, the Lethargy and not wanting to eat is concerning though can you tell us what kind of lighting your bearded dragon has? Absolutely NO “coil”/compact” uvb, he needs a long tubular uvb.
he has a long tubular uv, i believe a T5 UVB with a reflective hood. in the humidity case, i used to have a water bowl but have since taken it out. it’s fairly humid outside, which is probably why. i have got a dehumidifier in the room of his tank, a gel dehumidifier in his tank and hygrometers to measure it. i’m going to keep monitoring his lethargy and lack of appetite, hopefully it’s nothing serious.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Humidity can go as high as 70%-- what kind of hygrometer did you get? Make sure your using a long tube uvb--- No coils this is extremely important for health-- no basking or little is concerning- basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- is there any mucous or drainage out of the nose? Any bubbles in the mouth? Place a sock w/ rice in the tank - no water dishes in the tank and when you get the dehumidifier place next to the tank- the hygrometer needs to go in the center of the tank on the back center wall- it will read the whole tank--- I am thinking the lighting in the tank is causing alot of these issues- I would get an appointment for him to have him checked out just in case--- www.arav.org -- NO ENEMAS-- Feed him some canned pumpkin w/ a drop of olive oil +- make sure he's hydrated- that will help w/ the pooping

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi we rescue and rehome & this is def an URI. The only way to cure him is with antibiotic shots at the vet., the antibiotic is called “FORTAZ”; it’s a series of “3” shots done 4 days apart; if the Dr knows what he’s doing that’s the best antibiotic for an URI. He needs to go to the vet ASAP!! Find a good reptile or exotic animal vet; thats the only way to clear up the URI. If u don’t get him to the vet he can die. In the interim; NO baths till his antibiotics are done. Open windows to get the humidity down to 40 & remove large water bowls u may have in the tank. The humidity should never ever be higher than 40 & at bedtime always remove all food & water bowls. In order to avoid future URI; never ever leave food or water overnite in his tank, make sure the humidity never exceeds 40. It should be between 30-40 only and buy a digital hygrometer it’s only $10 from Petsmart & place it on the hot side next to his basking spot. Never take him outside when it’s cold, only in the summer let him soak up some sun for 30min to an hour if it’s a hot hot day. And u may let himRoam around the hoise for an hour or so to get some exercise monitored of course. Also, never ever get water in his ears when bathing & make sure the water level is way below his neck so he does not aspirate and breathe in water. Also his lethargy and not eating is another major issue; have u switched out the UVB? It needs replacing every “6” Mnths religiously and the best & most recommended is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 long tubular bulb. The length you order should cover 70’percent of the tank & he needs a hideaway. Please get this done asap or he will continue to be lethargic, unable to walk, or eat, brittle bones and MBD which will lead to death in many cases. Him not pooping tells me he’s impacted and getting sicker & temps are off also. Remove any sand substrate, replace with paper towels or white terry cloth towels, STOP Amd Never feed mealworms it impacts them. Feed crickets and Dubai roaches for proteins and always the greens/veggies everyday. Mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, green beans ans snap peas are the best everyday ones and cut them up into small pieces. The temp should be 95-97 if he’s 9mnths or older and younger Beardie temps should be 100-105. Keep both the UVB & heat light on for 10-12 hours in the winter more like 10 & 12-14 in the summer more like 14. And never ever feed rite before bed; if you do leave the lights on for “2” Hours ; it takes “2” hours for a Beardie to digest his food. He should be pooping once per day or every other day or two. But if he has improper UVB or it has not been replaced every “6” mnths he is weak & can’t eat he needs UVb. Please work on temps/order the proper uvb and get him to a vet ASAP.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi we rescue and rehome & this is def an URI. Open windows to get the humidity down to 40 & remove large water bowls u may have in the tank. The only way to cure him is with antibiotic shots at the vet., the antibiotic is called “FORTAZ”; it’s a series of “3” shots done 4 days sort of the Dr knows what he’s doing that’s the he best antibiotic for URI. He needs to go ASAP!! Find a good reptile or exotic animal vet; thats the only way to clear up the URI. If u don’t get him to the vet he can die. In the interim; NO baths till his antibiotics are done. In order to avoid future URI; never ever leave food or water overnite in his tank, make sure the humidity never exceeds 40. It should be between 30-40 only and buy a digital hygrometer it’s only $10 from Petsmart. Never take him outside when it’s cold, only in the summer let him soak up some sun for 30min to an hour if it’s a hot hot day. Also, never ever get water in his ears when bathing & make sure the water level is way below his neck so he does not aspirate and breathe in water. Also his lethargy and not eating is another major issue; have us switched out the UVB
he has a long tubular uv, i believe a T5 UVB with a reflective hood. in the humidity case, i used to have a water bowl but have since taken it out. it’s fairly humid outside, which is probably why. i have got a dehumidifier in the room of his tank, a gel dehumidifier in his tank and hygrometers to measure it. i’m going to keep monitoring his lethargy and lack of appetite, hopefully it’s nothing serious.
is it the Reptisun 10.0 T5?? And have u replaced it in the last “6” Months? All UVB lights need replacing every 6Mnths. Please read my in-depth post to you. NO sand, NO mealworms, zoomed clear basking bulb for heat, Reptisun 10.0 T5 long tubular bulb for uVb length should cover 70 percent of the tank & replace it every 6Mnths is a must. Temp needs to be correct: 95-97 for an adult over 8mnths old & Beardies less than 7mnths old 100-105.