• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Portion size?

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was just wondering what amount I should be feeding him a day? I would estimate he’s about 1 1/2 - 2 years old, so out of baby territory. I’ve just rehomed him last week from someone who didn’t really seem to have his best interest in mind, so I don’t have much info on him and his age/previous diet. Currently I feed him phoenix worms as his staple bug. I mostly eyeball it to what I feel like are a lot of bugs for his size; that being about 15 if I had to estimate. I also give him collard greens + dandelion greens after he finishes scarfing those up. I plan to diversify his diet with more veggies + eventually hope to find a good source of silkworms (please leave recs if you have any!) Should I be feeding him more? He’ll usually eat all of his bugs, attack his salad, but then doesn’t usually get to finish. I leave it in for a short while in case he wants to revisit and then clean out the veg after a few hours (2-3) of him not touching them. Should I offer him more later in the day in case he wants to eat more?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The stuff you are feeding him is great, that he likes eating his veggies is the cherry on top. As an adult he should be eating a lot more veg than bugs, try giving them every few days and a good selection of veg the rest of the time. Also a lot of worms are like candy for beardies, some will hold out for them over veg. Phoenix worms are one of the better ones as far as calcium and nutrition though, morio worms are good too but still quite fatty.
I leave veg in there all day and take it out on the evening when its too late for them to eat , not long before lights out.They really need at least a couple of hours of light/heat to digest You can give veggies an occasional quick spritz with water to keep them fresh longer.
As to where to source bugs, I would say online for sure, I get most of mine off ebay.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You are doing well, You want to feed adults salads that stay in all day until 2 hrs before lights out and like Beardedhippy said spray the greens to help them last longer.. Phoenix worms are great, silkworms are also a great feeder PatsyB feeds them alot she should chime in to say where she gets hers. Feeding bugs 1-3 times a week is plenty for adults.