• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poop Smearing...PLEASE HELP!!!!

Rose_C

Bearded Dragon Egg
Now that I have gotten my beardie on a regular bathroom schedule (every morning after the lights come back on) since I adopted him, I've now run across another issue. He keeps smearing poop all over his enclosure. It doesn't occur every time, but it has started occurring more frequent than I would like. It began after I changed his substrate from sand to the terrarium liner, of course this is also around the same time I got him to start eating more and pooping regularly. Since I adopted him, he went through an adjustment period, and it was not until after about 1.5-2 weeks after having him that I changed the substrate because I did not want to stress him out more than necessary (and no he was not impacted while he had sand, he still pooped, just not as often because he didn't eat as much due to the stress of a new environment). This morning for example, I turned on his lights about 6:30 am, as usual, but since some of my classes got cancelled until later I went back to sleep (normally I would start getting ready at that time). When I woke back up, because of his scratching all over the tank, I noticed he had pooped everywhere. There was no specific spot that he pooped, it was just all over the wall of the enclosure and his entire head (it looked like he had just pooped all over his head). Obviously when I noticed this I got straight out of bed because I can't have my dragon making more of mess as he frantically tried to climb every wall. Hence I gave him a quick bath to get all the fecal matter off of him, and he isn't a big fan of baths so it was no easy task. Normally I would not have the time necessary to give him a bath and cleanse his tank, while also getting myself ready for the day. Do you guys have any way I can break this bad habit of his? PLEASE!!!!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You have a Picasso on your hands! Lots of dragons poop paint, it's a pain in the ass but eventually they stop doing it.

Rose_C

Bearded Dragon Egg
You have a Picasso on your hands! Lots of dragons poop paint, it's a pain in the ass but eventually they stop doing it.

Do you know why they end up quitting it? Or is it just because they are tired of it? I'm just nervous he's going to do it one day when I need to leave and I'll have to leave him in his own fecal matter, which is not okay for me.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think they just stop because they get tired of it. My boy always tried to get out of his tank and would run through his poop but as he got older he calmed down and stopped. Now he tries to get away from the poop when it happens.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea no real way of knowing when they stop painting lol for the most part they want to get as far away as possible from their poop..

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Mine is a poop artist. Has been for the entire 3 years of his life... I just hope I catch him in time to clean it up before he creates his masterpiece. I don't always.

Rose_C

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mine is a poop artist. Has been for the entire 3 years of his life... I just hope I catch him in time to clean it up before he creates his masterpiece. I don't always.

Yeah If I catch him in time, it's no big deal. However the past week, he has decided to do after I leave the house for the day, then I come home with the tank and himself covered in fecal matter. I've had to give him baths multiple days in a row and get rid of certain things in his tank because he has soiled them so badly.