• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pogona vitticeps/barbata?

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are there any other beardies in the pet trade other than P vitticeps? I've heard of some others but never actually seen any. I'm asking because ever since I got one of my beardies I have questioned if he is a P vitticeps. He is a very dark grey when he is basking and when he is cold he is practically white, but that's very rare, it's usually a paler grey. His mouth is yellow, and he is not even remotely tame. The vet said he might be P barbata or a vitticeps/barbata hybrid. I can't find much information on barbatas though so I have no idea. He has severe mbd and stunted growth so body shape and size differences aren't as relevant with him.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
There is one other species I know of in the pet trade. It is Pogana Henrylawsoni or Rankins dragon. It’s basically a mini P vitteceps.
I know Pogona barbata is in the pet trade in australia but I'm in the US, so all I've seen besides P vitticeps is the rankins

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could you post a picture of him?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kowtCp4682tfbxTSrqvkw4qApv5ot5_f/view?usp=sharing
view

Rushmore Reptiles

Hatchling Dragon
I did some research and it’s highly unlikely that he is a crossbreed. It is illegal to import them from Australia and the only easterns in America are in zoos. Although there is the small chance he could have been illegally imported. And the color changing from dark to light happens in all dragons. The turn darker to absorb more heat.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did some research and it’s highly unlikely that he is a crossbreed. It is illegal to import them from Australia and the only easterns in America are in zoos. Although there is the small chance he could have been illegally imported. And the color changing from dark to light happens in all dragons. The turn darker to absorb more heat.
I know they're rare that's why I've always just questioned it and never been sure. The vet said there could be a couple or a few barbatas left in the US. He could be illegally imported which could explain his moody personality but I've read barbatas aren't as easily tamed as vitticeps so he could be cbb. I know they all turn darker I was just describing his colors. I've been looking at a lot of photos and videos of different barbatas and vitticeps and he really does seem like a hybrid. He has the colors of a barbata with the pattern of a vitticeps, and his mouth is yellow but not as bright as a pure barbata. I've been trying to research the 2 species but most websites and books say the differences in size, body shape, and spikes, which wouldn't apply to my beardie so i'm still not sure.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just read about the husbandry differences and it said barbata's need it a little cooler and a little more humid. My boy refuses to bask in anything above 95 Fahrenheit, but prefers 90. I thought he was just a little odd. He has only shed a little bit of the base of his tail and he can't have a water bowl because of his mbd, he gets supervised baths, so I'm not sure about the humidity

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think he is just a 'normal' bearded dragon, at least thats what I see from the pic. While they are mostly black and grey, they do get some spots of yellow, mostly on the back but sometimes in odd places on the head too. My male has yellow around one eye, thought it was some kind of infection at first, but nope it was just his natural colouring coming through. Both my male and female have the same colour in the patternation down their spines. I think its just genetic variation.
What kind of lighting are you using? If he is constantly going too dark it could mean he isnt getting enough UVB, he may be darkening to absorb more

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think he is just a 'normal' bearded dragon, at least thats what I see from the pic. While they are mostly black and grey, they do get some spots of yellow, mostly on the back but sometimes in odd places on the head too. My male has yellow around one eye, thought it was some kind of infection at first, but nope it was just his natural colouring coming through. Both my male and female have the same colour in the patternation down their spines. I think its just genetic variation.
What kind of lighting are you using? If he is constantly going too dark it could mean he isnt getting enough UVB, he may be darkening to absorb more
Its a tube uvb that's the same length as his tank.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is that tube a t10, t8 or a t5 and do you know how old it is? t10s and 8s need changing every 6 months I think and t5s every year. After that time the tubes efficiency is severly reduced and even though it looks like it is still working it might not be producing enough usable UVB. More so if your dragon has MBD and is restricted to the bottom of the tank. If you are unsure of the tubes age I would change it for a new one.
The colouring on his mouth is just like the colouring on my males eye. Its just his natural colour presenting itself in an odd place. I dont think you dragon is a hybrid, he looks just like mine.

katiea

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is a 1 month old t5
Is that tube a t10, t8 or a t5 and do you know how old it is? t10s and 8s need changing every 6 months I think and t5s every year. After that time the tubes efficiency is severly reduced and even though it looks like it is still working it might not be producing enough usable UVB. More so if your dragon has MBD and is restricted to the bottom of the tank. If you are unsure of the tubes age I would change it for a new one.
The colouring on his mouth is just like the colouring on my males eye. Its just his natural colour presenting itself in an odd place. I dont think you dragon is a hybrid, he looks just like mine.
It is a 1 month old t5