• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please Help!!! (puffy beard)

cheddarthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
My three year old male bearded dragon Cheddar has been acting really weird lately. His beard is very puffed and had been for the past three days without going down. It's hard to the touch, as if there is a golf ball in his beard. I also noticed that he started thrashing his body around three days ago. He would whip his whole body around with his mouth open out of no where and it's really scaring me. He has the right UVB bulb and almost always eats his salad, but he didn't eat today. I saw him the day before last start thrashing while he was eating with a piece of collard green in the way back of his mouth. I've been searching forever and can't find anything that matches his description. Please help me, I love him so much and I don't know what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_222910.jpg
    IMG_20220902_222910.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 25

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My three year old male bearded dragon Cheddar has been acting really weird lately. His beard is very puffed and had been for the past three days without going down. It's hard to the touch, as if there is a golf ball in his beard. I also noticed that he started thrashing his body around three days ago. He would whip his whole body around with his mouth open out of no where and it's really scaring me. He has the right UVB bulb and almost always eats his salad, but he didn't eat today. I saw him the day before last start thrashing while he was eating with a piece of collard green in the way back of his mouth. I've been searching forever and can't find anything that matches his description. Please help me, I love him so much and I don't know what to do.
Its swollen --- what insects are you feeding--- a piece of collard green will not do that - let me get some help on this -- what is the beard like this morning?

cheddarthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its swollen --- what insects are you feeding--- a piece of collard green will not do that - let me get some help on this -- what is the beard like this morning?
Actually, me and my family got some feedback from someone who went through the same thing. He ate to fast and got collard greens caught in his throat. Since bearded dragons don't have a diaphragm, he can't throw it up, therefore he thrashes to try to get it out. The way to fix this for anybody who may have a similar problem is to PLEASE take them to a vet, but if you are in a situation where you can not do that, cut a plastic straw in half. Burrito your beardie in a blanket or large washcloth so he can't wiggle away but he isn't uncomfortable. Then, dip the half straw in a water bottle and angle it so the water that you picked up with the straw will get into their open mouth. you can open their mouth by GENTLY pinching the sides - but ever dragon is different. What works for my bearded dragon might not work for yours. After doing this a few tips, rub his beard gently message his neck. The idea behind this is for the water to soften the food he has caught stuck in his through so it can go down. Do this over the course of a couple days and if it doesn't work please take them to a vet. This advice was given to me by a professional, but I would contact your vet before doing anything. If something is to happen, I will be back with an update but if it works and he's doing good I'll just leave this here for anyone who needs this:) thank you everyone and blessed be<3

cheddarthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Actually, me and my family got some feedback from someone who went through the same thing. He ate to fast and got collard greens caught in his through. Since bearded dragons don't have a diaphragm, he can't throw it up, therefore he thrashes to try to get it out. The way to fix this for anybody who may have a similar problem is to PLEASE take them to a vet, but if you are in a situation where you can not do that, cut a plastic straw in half. Burrito your beardie in a blanket or large washcloth so he can't wiggle away but he isn't uncomfortable. Then, dip the half straw in a water bottle and angle it so the water that you picked up with the straw will get into their open mouth. you can open their mouth by GENTLY pinching the sides - but ever dragon is different. What works for my bearded dragon might not work for yours. Give him some time in-between each water distribution. He's going to be stressed. After doing this a few tips, rub his beard gently message his neck. The idea behind this is for the water to soften the food he has caught stuck in his through so it can go down. Do this over the course of a couple days and if it doesn't work please take them to a vet. Take everything out of their tank that they could hit themselves on while thrashing and line their tank with a soft towel. I know the thrashing is scarry but it is his way of trying to get the food out. This advice was given to me by a professional, but I would contact your vet before doing anything. If something is to happen, I will be back with an update but if it works and he's doing good I'll just leave this here for anyone who needs this:) thank you everyone and blessed be<3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dragons can throw up --- if he was swinging his head side to side that is a sign they are going to throw up - I have someone looking at him- what has his behavior been ? Has he been swinging his head side to side?

cheddarthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dragons can throw up --- if he was swinging his head side to side that is a sign they are going to throw up - I have someone looking at him- what has his behavior been ? Has he been swinging his head side to side?
He hasn't thrashed around since yesterday and his beard has been doing a bit better sinse the water and massages. He has been acting normal sinse last night. I think he was trying to throw up but he couldn't for some reason. If it doesn't go away in a couple days I'm going to bring him to the vet in person. Thank you for helping and taking time to reply.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He hasn't thrashed around since yesterday and his beard has been doing a bit better sinse the water and massages. He has been acting normal sinse last night. I think he was trying to throw up but he couldn't for some reason. If it doesn't go away in a couple days I'm going to bring him to the vet in person. Thank you for helping and taking time to reply.
Ok good no black bearding? I am waiting for a response that I got in touch w/ --- its possible hes storing food in there but it usually goes down or so in a day --- let me know what happens please

cheddarthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok good no black bearding? I am waiting for a response that I got in touch w/ --- its possible hes storing food in there but it usually goes down or so in a day --- let me know what happens please
No black bearding, just puffy. And of course, I'll let you know how he's doing over the course of the next few days. I really appreciate you helping so much. Here's how he looks today:

Attachments

• 16622125364421241241907.jpg
    16622125364421241241907.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No black bearding, just puffy. And of course, I'll let you know how he's doing over the course of the next few days. I really appreciate you helping so much. Here's how he looks today:
The swelling has one down some --

cheddarthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg

I have some great news! After three rounds of giving him water through a straw around 5 times each, his swelling as gone down immensely and has had no thrashing or irrational movement at all! He is doing a lot better but I am going to keep using the water method until noon tomorrow just to be sure and then my little man will be able to go back to his normal routine! As you can see he's a little pissed that I'm bothering him but it's so much better.

Attachments

• 16622368150771651507130.jpg
    16622368150771651507130.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 21

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have some great news! After three rounds of giving him water through a straw around 5 times each, his swelling as gone down immensely and has had no thrashing or irrational movement at all! He is doing a lot better but I am going to keep using the water method until noon tomorrow just to be sure and then my little man will be able to go back to his normal routine! As you can see he's a little pissed that I'm bothering him but it's so much better.
She got back w/ me and this is what she said

Glad to see that it all worked out ! The food was caught in the back of his throat, causing the swelling. He couldn't throw it up because the food wasn't in his stomach. He was trying but it was stuck in his throat. I've never heard of that method with the straw + water, sounds risky but it either did work as intended or the food eventually would have gone down anyway.. But --- it seems to have worked.

cheddarthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
She got back w/ me and this is what she said

Glad to see that it all worked out ! The food was caught in the back of his throat, causing the swelling. He couldn't throw it up because the food wasn't in his stomach. He was trying but it was stuck in his throat. I've never heard of that method with the straw + water, sounds risky but it either did work as intended or the food eventually would have gone down anyway.. But --- it seems to have worked.
he took to it great and thank you for all the help!

cheddarthebeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
he took to it great and thank you for all the help!y

I would just like to update everyone, but Cheddar is back to normal and doing great! I'm keeping a close eye on him and am going to hand feed him for a little bit to make sure he doesn't eat to fast or have any complications but he is great! His beard is back to its usual size and yellowness and his normal behaviour. Thank you for the help!

Scotjess

Hatchling Dragon
I'm glad Cheddar got better. I'm also glad you came on this forum to ask what to do. Karl had greens stuck in his throat today. I came here to check, saw this post. I didn't have a straw but a 2ml syringe. I used it and it cleared the greens! Thank you! Karl is now resting and back to orange beard