• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help (glass surfing)

Reece

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys. i have a problem and nothing ive tried has fixed this so far....

ive had my beardie 8 years now was calm at first, just like any bearded dragon he was just chilling in his basking spot. but after 2 years of having him he started glass surfing constantly from the moment he wakes till he sleeps this will go on for atleast 7 hours a day, his temps are fine, hes fed well, hes healthy has plenty of space in his viv and he cant see his reflection. Hes also very aggressive towards me and has bit a few times. He also head bobs and black beards about 40 times a day

really not sure on what to do, i get him out every time he does this but as soon as i put him back hes right back to it. its a major problem for me as i work from home and his viv is wall mounted right next to me. its getting to the point i might have to get rid of him (i really dont want to do that)

Reece

Bearded Dragon Egg
Its called spring fever --- mine did it for 2 weeks and I work from home and he drove me nuts too --- he has since stopped the only thing Hiccup hasnt done is the head bobbing and black bearding- that is hormones -- its mating season - you dont have another dragon in that room do you?
Hi, thanks for the reply, nope i just have the one beardie, It seems like the only time he doesn't act like this is during brumation.

Reece

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so he does this constantly? Lets go over the lighting -- what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb? What are the basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons!!

the brand of uvb bulb is Arcadia and heat bulb is exo terra
temp at basking area is 96F the cool end 79F

the ubv is a tube light if thats what you mean by stick ones

Reece

Bearded Dragon Egg
Stickons for temps --- digital probes are the best and / or a infrared heat gun-- the Arcadia is a 12% or a 14% bulb this is important

sorry miss read it as stick ones thought you were referring to the tube uvb bulbs. I use two digital thermometer's one on each end

Reece

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok so your using a 120 gallon tank 4x2x2 ? if that is the case that is plenty big enough tank so we can rule that out --- the 12% bulb is a T 5 where do you have it in the tank ? I use a 4x2x2 as well and have the T 5 in the tank and its approx 12-15 inches from basking decor ------------ the constant glass surfing is not good --- and he cannot see his reflection --- what about windows ? can he see outside ?

i have the bulb positioned along the top of the viv closest to glass away from his shelf he likes to climb on its about 6 inches away from the basking area i do have a window opposite him what he can see out of but i never notice any birds ect

Reece

Bearded Dragon Egg
If the UVB is 6 inches from the basking decor its too close it should be 12-15 inches from it --- the UVB is too strong -- there should be no cover on the bulb -- please adjust accordingly --- ok so sometimes the outside can scare them and if they see a bird it can scare them but for now lets go w/ the UVB -- please readjust and see if behavior does not change

i will preposition the bulb right away. appreciate the help, this was the same setup the previous owners used so i assumed it was correct, i will update in a weeks time if this has solved the issue. but as you say maybe he is seeing things outside