• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PLEASE HELP! EXTREMELY SICK DRAGON

Kat

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am trying to rescue a baby bearded dragon from one of the teachers at my school. This baby is EXTREMELY SICK. I am not sure what is wrong with him because it could be multiple things, but I don´t even know if this baby will make it over the weekend. I am not sure of age, but I know he is under a year. He does not have the right temperatures in his cage and I am not sure the last time he has been fed or had water. He isnt getting vitamins and he has also lived on sand his whole life. Let me tell you the symptoms with this baby:
-Wont open eyes
-Lays limp even when picked up
-Skin and bones, no meat on him at all
-I am unsure the last time he has used the bathroom
-The teacher said this is the 3rd time he has been sick since she has gotten him
-I do not know how long he has been like this but it must have been a while. Animals don´t turn like this overnight

I know the chances of this baby are slim but please any advice will help!
(I do not have him in my home yet. He is still with the teacher. Today is the first time I have ever seen this baby and the first thing I did was email her and request to take him home even if it is only a place for him to pass away at least he will pass in a loving home. When I do receive him I will be able to take pictures and tell you more info on this little guy)

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I am no professional and I am sure that others on here will have much more sound advice; but I would first soak him in water that won't go past his/her head.

Ensure hydration.

95 degree water

They don't really drink from water bowls so dont count on it drinking. let it absorb through its skin.

while he/she is soaking get the temperatures set up properly...and immediately;

If the temperatures are just completely off; ( I am not sure of this ) but it may have went into brumation )

Ensure that there is UVB lights for it...

Make sure that food is available for it; I would suggest Dubia roaches in a bowl or something that they cant get out of...and vegetables....

And when possible get to a vet...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am trying to rescue a baby bearded dragon from one of the teachers at my school. This baby is EXTREMELY SICK. I am not sure what is wrong with him because it could be multiple things, but I don´t even know if this baby will make it over the weekend. I am not sure of age, but I know he is under a year. He does not have the right temperatures in his cage and I am not sure the last time he has been fed or had water. He isnt getting vitamins and he has also lived on sand his whole life. Let me tell you the symptoms with this baby:
-Wont open eyes
-Lays limp even when picked up
-Skin and bones, no meat on him at all
-I am unsure the last time he has used the bathroom
-The teacher said this is the 3rd time he has been sick since she has gotten him
-I do not know how long he has been like this but it must have been a while. Animals don´t turn like this overnight

I know the chances of this baby are slim but please any advice will help!
(I do not have him in my home yet. He is still with the teacher. Today is the first time I have ever seen this baby and the first thing I did was email her and request to take him home even if it is only a place for him to pass away at least he will pass in a loving home. When I do receive him I will be able to take pictures and tell you more info on this little guy)

Any updates on this little one?? bless you for wanting to help this little one
If you click on the links below a few of our members comments we have put together general care info that will help you out alot... Send pictures when you can and we will try and help in whatever way possible.. If you get him a nice warm soak and try and dribble water on his nose to see if you can get him to drink anything...Dubia, crickets, silkworms, hornworms, waxworms, phoenix worms are all good don't do supers unless you know he's eating and passing poop as they do have a bit of chitlin shell. How are the eyes? you can rinse them with saline solution he likely has sand in them...If he makes it he needs to be seen by a reptile vet if they can do anything vit wise or put him down peacefully if needed..

Bobbi

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Agreed, only other thing I can add is to get him off that sand. Even if you can only change it to paper towels or newspaper. He's probably never had a bath before, so you may want to add a washcloth to the bottom of the sink or whatever you use. It helps them feel more secure because they don't slide around as much. Also if he hasn't been passing stool, this will help to get things moving. Calcium and vitamin supplements are probably a good idea too.
Thank you so much for helping this little guy. You definitely deserve a pat on the back for that. I wish there were more people like us in the world. ❤

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A bath would be the first thing I would give him. Hold him in the water and gently drip water on the tip of his nose that will stimulate him to drink (hopefully). Bearded dragons don't absorb water through their skin like frogs do. They may absorb a little bit in their vent but not much. Try to find something called Critical care and try to feed it to him with a syringe with a plastic tip. Make sure you get him UVB and heat ASAP.