• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

please don't house your beardie in this

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Everyone I just had to show you this. first off beardies should never be housed in an enclosure. if you are an avid chameleon keeper and you have humidifiers going in the room please house your beardie or any other herp that requires low humidity in that room. beardies are not arboreal and this plant is a big no no. also i would never put a uvb bulb in the cage. if you can't house your herp properly please don't get it.
67997d1353250880-official-enclosure-picture-thread-2-post-your-pics-2002-12-08-12.00.00-2-1.jpg

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, except for the uvb laying in the cage. May i ask why? Is this from personal experience or opinion? Im also wondering why a pathos is considered a no no in a open cage?

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
to the left is a bearded dragon housed in the cage. and the whole room is full of chameleon cages. it has humidifiers going in the room to keep the humidity up gillie. chams need 60 to 100 humidity now we both know that is unsafe. what if the beardie started eating the dirt in the pot or what if it climbed the side of the cage and fail and hurt itself. have you ever seen someone house a beardie with a pathos in its cage.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi spike, chameleons do do well with moderately high humidity. During misting sessions only should the humidity within the enclosure be near 100 percent. Most do well fluctuating between 50-80% within the enclosure.

Our reptile room has a relative humidity of 60%. We have chameleons, dragons and other lizards within the room. All do well and have for many years now ;)

I had a hard headed friend that would not listen to me for the world. He kept a dragon i now have, completely different from what we know as good care parameters. He built this dragon a gigantic and i mean huge wire cage. The thing stood above 6' and was about 4' wide by 2' or so deep. He kept a large basin of water (a pink bedside pan) at the bottom and seriously the list goes on. Despite him being kept out of the normal way of keeping this lizard was really healthy. The dragon always perched at the top (near 6') under the basking bulb and used the bed side pan as his litter box. He would go down, soak in it, defecate and climb right back to the top. The point of this is just because it is out of the normal way, as long as the animal is getting uvb, proper temps, humidity within reason and other crucial care guide lines. As long as a animal is safe and healthy. To each there own. We feast our eyes on "typical" set ups and frown upon anything that strays from it even though it is just fine. Would i recommend it no but to condemn it...

Note: Dirt isnt harmful as long as it doesnt have fertilizers, perlite or vermiculite in it. Its like sand...You have to practice good husbandry. A pathos is considered a safe plant for most lizards.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Might help if the pic was there ;). I totally disagree with dirt being an option, is no comparison to sand, but to each their own. As far as humidity goes, the climate here is generally quite humid, my BDs have been thriving for many years at 60%-70% RH & much higher at times during the spring or rainy seasons. They adapt quite well.