• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

plaque/ teeth/ periodontal disease etc ?

beardie777888

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all, can anyone very experienced with this stuff help, I have a 8 year old male beardie , he has a moderate amount of plaque on his teeth. he is eating a lot less at the moment, yet full of life . being so full of life yet not eating much is not common for him . i did some research and periodontal disease comes up and appears a good match.

dont have the best reptile vets in my area and i've read a lot of conflicting things eg its normal for beardies in captivity,others saying needs a very invasive op , others that its an infection

so is this common? yellow plaque on their teeth (as far as can see rest of inside of mouth looks fine and pink although its real hard to get a good look he hates the forced open mouth thing

we all want best for our little guys don't we but equally i've had some bad experiences with vets over things with him, they seem very happy to proceed with invasive routes and dangerous things, - things that have turned out to be him just brumating .

thanks for any replies from those that have experience in this/noticed it on their beardie's teeth etc

beardie777888

Bearded Dragon Egg
here's some pics

Attachments

• 20171117_193900_resized.jpg
    20171117_193900_resized.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20171117_193902_resized.jpg
    20171117_193902_resized.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 17

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would really try to find a reptile vet. Mouthrot is plaque on the teeth. The fact that he’s not wanting to eat could mean he’s in pain or it could just be he’s going into brumation but you want to make sure it’s nothing serious before he brumates. My girl has a mouth problem and I have to stop her from brumating in order to keep her mouth clean everyday so that her problem doesn’t turn into something more serious.