• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pinkish/red on scales and skin.

Ozwald

Bearded Dragon Egg
My pal Ozwald has some pink and reddish areas forming on his scales. I just moved to Florida and he his humidity was too high for a bit. I have a dehumidifier now. I am wondering if anyone can tell what this is. Scale rot, beginning of shed? I have started Betadine soaks.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• FCF1C5A5-F70A-45CC-A764-DA0156CF5C8F.jpeg
    FCF1C5A5-F70A-45CC-A764-DA0156CF5C8F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 89E0E0FB-EF3D-4910-817D-29AC30272BCF.jpeg
    89E0E0FB-EF3D-4910-817D-29AC30272BCF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My pal Ozwald has some pink and reddish areas forming on his scales. I just moved to Florida and he his humidity was too high for a bit. I have a dehumidifier now. I am wondering if anyone can tell what this is. Scale rot, beginning of shed? I have started Betadine soaks.

Thanks!!
Do you have a heat rock in the tank? What are the surface basking temps on his basking decor piece and how are you getting them? NO stick ons please -- you want a digital probe thermometer place the probe on the spot where he basks for 10 min or so and get the temp- how old is Ozwald? For a baby temps should be 105-110 and for a juvie/ adult dragon 95-100 -- also it could be a food stain ---are you feeding him anything that was red? I want to rule all this out for cause --- what was the humidity in the tank and are you using a analog to get the humidity? Digital probe hygrometers are better they are more accurate --- place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read the whole tank --- optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20% and over 70% -- I am seeing a possible shed start on the foot - other than that I am seeing coloring

Ozwald

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you! I have a digital probe thermometer. Basking temp is usually 93-103, his humudity was generally between 26-40% but since I moved and am waiting on a large dehumidifier his humidy has been 50-65% for a couple of weeks (working on fixing this ASAP, hurricane Ian caused some issues). He is 3 yr old adult male. I did feed him raspberry a couple weeks ago which he made a mess of. I have given him betadine baths and the raspberry he had on his face went away awhile ago. After more research I am less concerned about scale rot and more concerned about his femoral pores on the leg exhibiting the pinkish staining. They don't look impacted but they look red, irritated, and abnormal, possibly were bleeding. I'm wondering if those could be the source of the staining. If you look at the picture all of the skin in the crease behind his knee looks pinkish like he scraped it but on the bottom of his tale the pink color seems to be like staining on the tip of the scales. Thats why I'm so confused as to whats going on. He does like to wall surf and gets pretty reckless.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you! I have a digital probe thermometer. Basking temp is usually 93-103, his humudity was generally between 26-40% but since I moved and am waiting on a large dehumidifier his humidy has been 50-65% for a couple of weeks (working on fixing this ASAP, hurricane Ian caused some issues). He is 3 yr old adult male. I did feed him raspberry a couple weeks ago which he made a mess of. I have given him betadine baths and the raspberry he had on his face went away awhile ago. After more research I am less concerned about scale rot and more concerned about his femoral pores on the leg exhibiting the pinkish staining. They don't look impacted but they look red, irritated, and abnormal, possibly were bleeding. I'm wondering if those could be the source of the staining. If you look at the picture all of the skin in the crease behind his knee looks pinkish like he scraped it but on the bottom of his tale the pink color seems to be like staining on the tip of the scales. Thats why I'm so confused as to whats going on. He does like to wall surf and gets pretty reckless.
Your humidity needs to be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer- https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r
if your levels are 26-40% that is good --- even the 50-65% is ok as well - optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% --- too low of humidity will cause RI-- so your thinking the staining is raspberry - have you tried washing the femoral pores? My guess that is all raspberry and the femoral pores look fine ---