• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pink urates?

sarahlynn37

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have noticed the urate in the stool to have a pinkish tinge for two days now....I'm not sure how old my lizard is-I've had him/her for about 2 months now, is about 10 inches from nose to tail tip....everything has been going along quite well and he/she seems to be acting normally. Alert, active, eating very well. Feeds on live crickets and greens only. I'm doing all the standard stuff with lighting/supplements, etc. No changes have occurred with the diet, or daily routine....I'm a bit concerned and wondering what to do? Thanks for any help!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is is pink or do you think it could be blood? Did you change foods? Anything with red or pink? If no food changes and blood is a possibility, take to vet. Easiest thing first though. A fecal, parasites can cause blood.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't want to inundate you with info. Seems like everyone has hit the possible causes. Does he struggle when going to the bathroom?

Just want to add that Bernie had pink in the urate. It was when she had her monthly.

As a precautionary, I'd see a vet and have a fecal done. And just to make sure we are on the same page,
1. What is your make and model of UV light?
2. What greens are you feeding?
3. Are there any veggies in there?
4. What substrate (floor) do you use?
5. What are your temps on the hot and cold sides?
6. What do you use to measure your temps?

sarahlynn37

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks everyone for your help/support!! I am definitely taking a fecal in to a vet this week. There doesn't seem to be any actual blood, just a pinkish/orangeish tinge to the urate only which has always been bright white before. Here's a rundown on my basic set-up: I have a reptisun 10 tube light and also a basking lamp. He gets a blend of turnip greens, collards, and romain tops. 1-2x per week I give a few pieces of finely shredded carrot or zucchinni. My substrate is repti carpet which I have two sets which I change weekly or more often if soiled. My temps are 95-100 in basking, and the cool side is 80-85. I am using a zoo med digi thermo to measure. It is a 40 gallon tank. He has been eating quite a bit of greens last week, almost twice as much as in previous weeks. And he is getting ready to shed his head and back. He just finished with his legs and tail last week. Didn't know if that could be a factor. Also, I dust crickets 4-5x per week with calcium/vit d3(phos free) and 1-2x per week with repcal herptivite. He does get about 3-4 hours per week of outside sun. I still can't determine yet if it is a he/she. I am checking the inner thighs and don't see much. Thanks so much again!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool. Thanks for answering.

I'd still get the fecal to make sure, but I'm thinking that the carrots may be tinging his urate. Carrots should be offered as a treat. I'd cut back and see what happens.