• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phoenix worms?

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Got 100 phoenix worms in today. Dunked some of them in a shallow water dish to get the stuff off...Baby dragon refused to eat them after a few offerings...i put 10 of them in a dish with collards and squash...no feeding response after an hr.
Offered one wax worm and she ate it like a starving Somalian in a cheeseburger factory!!! Is there a nd to let them get real hungry in order to eat what you want them to?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I feed salads before I feed their bugs.. so first thing I do a nice bowl of greens as their first meal of the day mainly because that's when they are super hungry. once they eat some greens I give the bugs lol

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They will confound you all the time ,not eating things they really should want to. They are a bit like kids in that way...fussy eaters!. Sometimes its like they dont realise its even food and sometimes they seem to have this instinctive craze for other foods (try waxworms sometime, beardie crack!). Yep, they will test your limits, all can suggest is try as much variation as you can, especially with the veggies and be persistant. Also remember, worms are very fatty so its best not to overdo it with them anyway.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I would stop feeding wax worms. Wax worms are like candy so they learn quick that if they don't eat what they are supposed to, you are going to give candy.

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
Apparently sugar just likes bugs...this morning she ate a wax worm, 2 dubias and 4 crickets...and no salad she's like Pumba on them bugs

Mark the Mailman

Hatchling Dragon
In the last 3 days, she has started eating copius amounts of phoenix worms. I'm talking up to 16 per feeding. if this becomes normal for her, shouldn't i reduce her calcium dusting to a couple times a week w/d3?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Apparently sugar just likes bugs...this morning she ate a wax worm, 2 dubias and 4 crickets...and no salad she's like Pumba on them bugs
I feed my 3 their salads first thing in the am when they are the most hungry and once they eat some then they get their bugs..Sometimes when they go off a food item some tough love has to be done to get them eating, know that they will not starve themselves.