• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parasites? Yikes

Sheryl Eveland

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone. Sort of a newbie here. My Luna is 9 months old. Was having very liquid stools, so took her to the Reptile Vet in St. Louis. She has Called coccidia, and pin worms. They say it is a common problem with beardies, but can be difficult to get rid of. I was using Calcisand, but have since replaced it with newspaper as the vet said she would keep reinfecting herself unless I changed sand weekly. (Very expensive). Otherwise he was impressed with her health and overall care. (Oh! And she IS A GIRL! Whew!) what I’m wondering, has anyone gone through this and do you have any advise on things I can do to make sure this doesn’t return and we ixnay the nasty beasts?
Thank you!!

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
when my Stryker had her issue with parasites I took everything out of her viv and sanitized first with bleach and then with white vinegar just to be sure. then all her furniture had to be sanitized as well some of it went thru the dish washer on high heat setting with more white vinegar and the rocks/slate and wood went into the oven for 2 hrs at 175/200 degrees. I used paper towels as substrate until the meds did there job and our vet gave her a clean bill of no more bugs!!! she has been parasite free for more the 4 yrs now. and she no longer gets crickets as they were most likely the cause of the infection.