• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Paraplegic Bearded Dragon?

Ben Stephenson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just over 2 weeks ago my 14-year-old daughter's 2-3 month old bearded lady "Athena" suffered trauma when the family cat found a way to jump on top of the terrarium (40 gallon Zoo Med) and then fell through the vinyl screened lid. We found our cat Tiger on the floor of her room, and Athena on the floor in front of the Tiger. Athena had a bite mark across her haunches from the cat jumping out of the terrarium with Athena in the cat's mouth. My daughter was hysterical.

I gently picked Athena up by the tail and put her back in her terrarium. We also replaced the terrarium lid with a hard lid so this could never happen again. Athena didn't eat for 2-3 days, and then only non-living food. My daughter was persistent, however, and Athena has since perked up, and now is eating live meal worms. Her bite mark has healed on the outside, but I think her back legs are paralyzed now. Her front legs are muscular, and she can move around using just her front legs.

I would like to ask the readers: Do any of you have experience with a paraplegic beardie? I can't say for sure whether she is suffering, but she seems mostly recovered and perky again, except for those back legs. What insight/advice do you have that could share with my daughter. Can a handicapped beardie grow up and have a decent quality of life?

Thanks in advance for any responses.