• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Paper Towels, newspaper, reptisand...

DawnM

Bearded Dragon Egg
I started out using paper towels for Rosie. Then I tried newspaper because she just shredded paper towels and crickets had a million hiding places. The newspaper had the same problem. The kit I bought came with reptisand I never used so I put it in today so the crickets couldn't hide. I found 5 crickets when I pulled the newspaper out. My question is, how bad is reptisand for adult dragons? I know she eats some with the crickets and none with the veggies because they're in a food bowl. Are their better options than those that don't take a ton of cleaning? It takes her 45 minutes to destroy a whole floor of paper towels or newspaper. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, the reptisand is bad news, or rather what I would call an unacceptable risk. It may cause impaction, or not if your dragon is well hydrated, you have to ask yourself if its worth taking the chance. Crickets are really good at hiding, in a loose substrate they will push themselves under food bowls and tank furniture, so you will still have that problem.
What you need is ceramic tiles with the shiny side turned downward, or some terracotta tiles(better imo). These have the advantage of being easy to clean and also keep your dragons nails in order. Hope that helps

DawnM

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had the carpet type years ago when I had a snake. It does seem like the best alternative. I just remember them not being as easy to clean as they claim. I'll probably get 2 so I can switch them out.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have that in my viv now, you are right ,it is a nightmare to keep clean. My female went into her hide for a few weeks in winter and tried to dig through it making one heck of a mess. I also have the other stuff that looks like astro turf or fake grass, that is a lot tougher and easier to clean, but you cant put it in the washing machine like the felt. I found that bugs still get under both though, cant get under tile though. Im swapping my reptile carpet out for terracotta tiles soon.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I occasionally use the carpet and yes, it is hard to clean. Plus they can sometimes get their nails snagged on it. I currently use non adhesive shelf liner in a few of my tanks. It's easy to just wipe clean. In my other tank I use ceramic tiles, which is also easy to wipe clean.

Of the sand options, the sand with the calcium added to it is the worst. Think clumping cat litter and then think of that in your dragons belly. When I feed my dragons I feed one bug at a time and make sure they eat the first one before going on to the next one. It eliminates having to search for uneaten bugs.

BeardedKevin

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got an off cut of lino from the local carpet store for my vivs and cut it to size my self. Very easy to keep clean.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I got an off cut of lino from the local carpet store for my vivs and cut it to size my self. Very easy to keep clean.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Be careful with anything that has adhesive on the back, the heat from the lights can activate the toxins. Also make sure the dragon can grip it. If they can't properly walk on something because the surface is too slick, they can get something called splayed leg.

Loose Nut

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm loving the stone tile option, we are using 4 12x12 inch tiles with a little bit rough texture, just enough to keep the nails trimmed down.
clean up is fast, can pull 1 out and replace with a spare if needed. tiles fit perfectly in 40 gallon tank so no gaps.
The tiles are like $1.00 each so 6 will last forever ( just don't drop them, can shatter tank and tile)

Its a little bit noisy when he slides his ceramic bowl around

DawnM

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think I'll just stick with newspaper. It lays flatter than paper towels. Nail trimming isn't an issue for me since I was a groomer for almost 10 years. Dragon nails are easy. Thanks for everyone's help.

Ciera

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have always used sand once my beardie was an adult never any issue. I dont feed her crickets in her sand and i put a paper towl down so if she drops her bowl food she doesnt eat the sand. They live in sandy areas i think its the best and i love how easy it is to clean the tank. Now i have also used reptile carpet and that works fine aswell you just wash it when they use the bathroom.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have always used sand once my beardie was an adult never any issue. I dont feed her crickets in her sand and i put a paper towl down so if she drops her bowl food she doesnt eat the sand. They live in sandy areas i think its the best and i love how easy it is to clean the tank. Now i have also used reptile carpet and that works fine aswell you just wash it when they use the bathroom.

The area where bearded dragons are from is really more of a hard packed clay not really sand. So something like excavator clay would look nice and also mimic more of their natural environment.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Patsy they are from Australia and are living in hard packed clay/mud that they can dig burrows in. Sand looks cool but you really can't get all the urates out when they go to the bathroom, so bacteria forms causing issues like smell.. Sand also gets in their nostrils, eyes, and they will lick it and in doing so will ingest it.. now every dragon is different so while some adults can do just fine on sand while others have problems. You just never know and it is a risk having them on sand. I think what we have to remember is our dragons are captive breed they are not wild caught anymore so they live longer than wild ones and it is our responsibility to take this into account.

Ciera

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is true mine has never had any issue my sand has never smelled but i change it every 6 months and i have a scooper that does a very good job at getting rhe stuff out pluse i wash all of her stuff with a little bleach to keep bacteria levels low but like you said all are different

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
I occasionally use the carpet and yes, it is hard to clean. Plus they can sometimes get their nails snagged on it. I currently use non adhesive shelf liner in a few of my tanks. It's easy to just wipe clean. In my other tank I use ceramic tiles, which is also easy to wipe clean.

Of the sand options, the sand with the calcium added to it is the worst. Think clumping cat litter and then think of that in your dragons belly. When I feed my dragons I feed one bug at a time and make sure they eat the first one before going on to the next one. It eliminates having to search for uneaten bugs.
Patsy is correct here.....some people get too tied up in the aesthetics and realize it can be bad for the dragon and a pain to clean.
The shelf lining is THE best and easiest option as it holds no moisture so no bacteria if your guy is a cage pooper.
I tape mine down so no crickets hide and the dragon won't get under not anything funky

grayliz

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have some old tile in the bottom that I cushioned against the glass with sand. I was concerned about some of the edges of the tile on my beardie’s belly so I filled the gaps between with sand as well. I know sand is risky but i’m not sure of another way to keep those edges from being somewhat jagged without grouting it in and making for hard cleanup.

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
I spent $2.39 on a scrap of felt at walmart.

I have enough for three flooring changes. Shake it outside and toss in the washing machine once in a while.

I hand feed a huge dubia roach every day so they don't get a chance to hide.