• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Overnight humidity

Kevin Hammett

Bearded Dragon Egg
My son got a 40 gallon bearded dragon setup at PetSmart for Christmas. After changing the basking bulb from a 100 to 150 watt, the environment is perfect during the lighted hours. During the night hours the humidity in the tank goes back to the normal room humidity which is almost 70%. We are taking the water bowl out at night. What do we do?

Kevin Hammett

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks! So close to 70% isn't the end of the world? Keeping my eye out for a dehumidifier but I don't really want to have to do that.

Definitely going to upgrade the uvb light. I saw where they lose up to 35% through the screen. Should I get one that installs inside the tank? Also thought about cutting the screen away where the lamp is.

We are having a tough time getting the heat high enough. I changed the 100 watt to a 150 and thought we were good but we were only at 95-100 degrees today. Looks like I need to upgrade all of the lighting.

Kevin Hammett

Bearded Dragon Egg
At the moment I am relying on the "stick on dials" that came with. I will invest in some digital probe types tomorrow. As well as a gun. That way I know if my problem actually exist. Thanks for the help!

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks! So close to 70% isn't the end of the world? Keeping my eye out for a dehumidifier but I don't really want to have to do that.

Definitely going to upgrade the uvb light. I saw where they lose up to 35% through the screen. Should I get one that installs inside the tank? Also thought about cutting the screen away where the lamp is.

We are having a tough time getting the heat high enough. I changed the 100 watt to a 150 and thought we were good but we were only at 95-100 degrees today. Looks like I need to upgrade all of the lighting.
Is that 95-100 surface or air? If surface, yes, try to get that bumped up about 5 degrees. If you can get the basking surface closer, you won't have to change the basking light. Whether to mount the UVB inside or on top really depends on several factors. T5HO fixtures with 10.0 bulbs are usually fine on top of the screen, if they're not more than about 12" from a surface the beardie spends time on.

Kevin Hammett

Bearded Dragon Egg
The 95 to 100 is what the cheap stick on says. Who knows what is accurate. I was hoping to get my hood local but all that is available is t8 20 inch and 30 inch. Reptisun brand. I figure the 30 inch is too long. Is 20 inches enough for our 36 inch terrarium?
My son is 16 and pretty responsible but didn't have the resources to cover all of the extras. Glad I got involved!
The kit seems to be enough to keep the animal alive at best! I will be writing a review indicating this!

Kevin Hammett

Bearded Dragon Egg
Forgot to mention I had ordered 2 digital thermometer/hydrometers and a gun today. They should be here tomorrow. I will order the 24 inch T5 hood and lamp. It will be cheaper anyway. I guess the little dude will be ok with the cheap light for a few days.
Thanks again! We are already attached and want him/her to be as healthy and comfortable as possible!

BEStillz

Bearded Dragon Egg
You’re fine. The humidity will always spike when your heat lamp is off. There is no issue in it raising overnight, it will not have any bad effects. I’m assuming you’re light is off for approx 10-12 hours while you’re beardie sleeps. You should only be worried if the humidity stays high for a constant long period of time. Just make sure your temp doesn’t drop below 65 at nights and you’ll be great.