• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Outdoor questions

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
It's getting warmer outside, and I was wondering when I could take my beardie outside and what I should/ shouldn't do with her for outside visits. I read it was a good way of getting natural UVB and heat, and I bought her a harness and pen. How many degrees does it need to be for outside time? Are there any risks for bacteria or anything like that?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's getting warmer outside, and I was wondering when I could take my beardie outside and what I should/ shouldn't do with her for outside visits. I read it was a good way of getting natural UVB and heat, and I bought her a harness and pen. How many degrees does it need to be for outside time? Are there any risks for bacteria or anything like that?
No yard w/ pesticides- it should be 65 or better- if your taking outside at 65 I wouldn't be too long out make sure she's in the sun- too cold if it's 65-- birds watch for them-- she may get spooked by them so if she does you may want to bring her in- and watch so she's not eating anything that could be toxic probably better to set her in the grass

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
No yard w/ pesticides- it should be 65 or better- if your taking outside at 65 I wouldn't be too long out make sure she's in the sun- too cold if it's 65-- birds watch for them-- she may get spooked by them so if she does you may want to bring her in- and watch so she's not eating anything that could be toxic probably better to set her in the grass
Is grass okay for her to eat? And is there any temp that's too hot for her?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is grass okay for her to eat? And is there any temp that's too hot for her?
Yes you don't want to leave her in direct sun if it's in the 90's for too long if it's too hot for you it's too hot for her- no glass containers if you put her in something- plastic ok but not over 15 minutes and in partial shade- grass is fine if she eats it along w/ dandelion but no sprayed

ZoeyTheBeardie

Hatchling Dragon
Yes you don't want to leave her in direct sun if it's in the 90's for too long if it's too hot for you it's too hot for her- no glass containers if you put her in something- plastic ok but not over 15 minutes and in partial shade- grass is fine if she eats it along w/ dandelion but no sprayed
Are organic/ natural sprays okay?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Just watch for other nature life around your beardie outside like squirrels, birds, other lizards, etc.

I say this because the squirrels scare my guy. He gets nervous and very alert when birds are in the yard too. I have him a pumpkin in the sun that he likes to sit on when it is nice outside.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Watch out for other lizards, when my beardie Was a baby we were on our front step and out of nowhere she bolted and she attacked a poor brown anole and almost ate him, I got to them both in time, but my beardie already ripped the poor things tail off(good thing they grow back) I had to wash my readies mouth and everything (she didn't eat the tail)