• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Outdoor Enclosure

Kylie76

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, I have built a large outdoor enclosure with a pond for my girl 'Leila' which she shares with 'Blupee' the fresh water rescue turtle and I was wanting some advice on what aqautic plants might be suitable and also what type of potting mix would be suitable for the potted plants, I have found plenty of plants which are safe for the pots but nothing on water pants.TIA.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi everyone, I have built a large outdoor enclosure with a pond for my girl 'Leila' which she shares with 'Blupee' the fresh water rescue turtle and I was wanting some advice on what aqautic plants might be suitable and also what type of potting mix would be suitable for the potted plants, I have found plenty of plants which are safe for the pots but nothing on water pants.TIA.
Lets see if I can get some help w/ this for you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lets see if I can get some help w/ this for you
She got back w/ me and responded w/ this
I don't know much about ponds or the aquatic plants that people use so I'm no help there. One thing to be aware of is that your beardie can pick up extra bacteria from the turtle and vice versa. I don't know that it would be a problem and in reality most reptiles carry certain things like salmonella. You also would want to be certain that the turtle wouldn't view the beardie's tail as something to eat, looking like a superworm .

Kylie76

Bearded Dragon Egg
She got back w/ me and responded w/ this
I don't know much about ponds or the aquatic plants that people use so I'm no help there. One thing to be aware of is that your beardie can pick up extra bacteria from the turtle and vice versa. I don't know that it would be a problem and in reality most reptiles carry certain things like salmonella. You also would want to be certain that the turtle wouldn't view the beardie's tail as something to eat, looking like a superworm .
Thank you, they have been together for quite some time now and both seem very happy and content to share their favourite log which sits out over the pond, the turtle always takes prime launching position at the end of the log but I will be sure to keep a close eye on their interaction, any further info on the potential bacteria issues would also be appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, they have been together for quite some time now and both seem very happy and content to share their favourite log which sits out over the pond, the turtle always takes prime launching position at the end of the log but I will be sure to keep a close eye on their interaction, any further info on the potential bacteria issues would also be appreciated.
We would need to ask Tracie the vet tech on here -- she would know more than I as she is a reptile tech
flagging to her
@Drache613