• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ordering Crickets Online

Pat B

Super Moderator
I want to order my crickets online. PS is way too expensive and too far away from where I live. Does anyone have a 'favorite' site they order their crickets from and is this a good way to go?? Thank you.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't help you as to where, because I live in a different country, but I would just caution you on the size & amount you order at a time when feeding one BD. Although a Youngster does go through them very quickly, crickets grow, mature very fast & their lifespan is quite short. If you have been buying small amounts of mid sized crix at a time until now, you may not have experienced just how stinky they are, how noisey they are as adults. Please research their care very thoroughly or you may wind up with quite a number of fatalities. I am not telling you this in any way to discourage you, just letting you in on some of the pitfalls.

Good Luck.

Pat B

Super Moderator
I can't help you as to where, because I live in a different country, but I would just caution you on the size & amount you order at a time when feeding one BD. Although a Youngster does go through them very quickly, crickets grow, mature very fast & their lifespan is quite short. If you have been buying small amounts of mid sized crix at a time until now, you may not have experienced just how stinky they are, how noisey they are as adults. Please research their care very thoroughly or you may wind up with quite a number of fatalities. I am not telling you this in any way to discourage you, just letting you in on some of the pitfalls.

Good Luck.
No offense taken at all....Your information is good and I appreciate it since this is my first beardie....

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i just ordered 500 1/2" crickets from ghans, i will let yall know how it turns out. i did 2nd day shiping and the total cost was $28 which is half the cost of what i pay in pet stores.

i may have to order a smaller size next time if the crickets outgrow what i can use them as.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i just ordered 500 1/2" crickets from ghans, i will let yall know how it turns out. i did 2nd day shiping and the total cost was $28 which is half the cost of what i pay in pet stores.

i may have to order a smaller size next time if the crickets outgrow what i can use them as.
I just got a different pet store to order me 1000 1/16" crickets for $25. By the time they get too big, they'll all be munched. I received them and they look more like 1/8", but I'm not complaining. They'll still get ate.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
At roughly 60 crickets per feeding, and getting fed 3 times a day Zeta will go through 1000 in a weeks time (ROUGHLY) Ordering online is the only GOOD option in my opinion if you're gonna feed crickets, unless you have someone that can order them for you...

And please, don't trash me for how much Im feeding my little girl...She was malnourished when I got her and is WAYYYYY behind schedule on her size, so Im pumping the coal to her LOL She still poops fine AND eats her greens so no impaction, I learned that with Dillinger! LOL

Pat B

Super Moderator
At roughly 60 crickets per feeding, and getting fed 3 times a day Zeta will go through 1000 in a weeks time (ROUGHLY) Ordering online is the only GOOD option in my opinion if you're gonna feed crickets, unless you have someone that can order them for you...

And please, don't trash me for how much Im feeding my little girl...She was malnourished when I got her and is WAYYYYY behind schedule on her size, so Im pumping the coal to her LOL She still poops fine AND eats her greens so no impaction, I learned that with Dillinger! LOL
Is her name Miss Piggy? Just kidding.....I think you are doing the right thing. How do you know she is a female?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
mwahaha bought a 40 gallon tank today! i will have pics up soon in the picture theard i think. just gotta get my camera working

JAKO91

Bearded Dragon Egg
The smell.. Oh the smell..
I ordered 1000 a couple weeks ago with the impression she would smash them in a week or so with her appetite. As soon as they came my girl started shedding and wouldn't eat. Worst decision ever buying 1000, they truly are disgusting :eek: . Will be looking into doing roaches or locusts next time as i'm under the impression that they don't smell like ass. Does anybody know if you can get roaches in the UK?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
i dont think i could do roaches, its kinda a mental thing, we try very hard to keep them out of the house so buying them to bring in is madness.

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Dubia DO have a smell, but not NEARLY as bad as crickets. As far as it being a mental thing, I despise touching ANY insect, whether its a cricket or a lady bug, it makes me cringe. But I can quite honestly say after hand feeding dubia to help me break that fear, they're not so bad. As far as keeping them out of the house, keep your colony in a large plastic tote, dark in color and about 4 inches from the top, line it with packing tape, they wont be able to climb the tote to begin with, the tape is just cheap insurance. Make sure you vent the lid, I cut a large square hole and lined it with screen wire. Trust me, after having them in the house for a while and with proper handling, you'll never have an escapee.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Dubia DO have a smell, but not NEARLY as bad as crickets. As far as it being a mental thing, I despise touching ANY insect, whether its a cricket or a lady bug, it makes me cringe. But I can quite honestly say after hand feeding dubia to help me break that fear, they're not so bad. As far as keeping them out of the house, keep your colony in a large plastic tote, dark in color and about 4 inches from the top, line it with packing tape, they wont be able to climb the tote to begin with, the tape is just cheap insurance. Make sure you vent the lid, I cut a large square hole and lined it with screen wire. Trust me, after having them in the house for a while and with proper handling, you'll never have an escapee.
i dont think my mom cares if its more secure then a prison, she wont let me have the roaches in the house. had a hard time just getting the crickets to be alloud in the house.

though maybe once i go to college i can use the roaches,

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hahahahaha, I had the same issue when I first got into this hobby, but after having just about every feeder known to man in the house, I had roaches in the house 4 or 5 months before my mom knew they were there....lol that was a treat....but youre right, being on your own make it alot easier.

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
crickets got here yesterday, right on time.

i ordered the 500 1/2 inch and they were the perfect size. about 50-75 were dead which i expected. however it looks like only 200 or maybe even less are alive. so including the dead it looks like 300-350 crickets came when i ordered 500. now i did not count them but it does not look like its 500.