• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinions on Stefferns new enclosure ?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone i hope you’re having a good day :) steffern my female beardie has been in a 40 gallon breeder tank for the first year of her life, im happy to say shes now in a 4x2x2 zen habitat pvc enclosure, the backgrounds are sand matts and corkbark tiles, the left side substrate is “safe sand” the middle is excavator clay, and the right side is clay balls as a drainage layer potting soil mixed with cypress chips, and the top layer is repti bark, its not a bioactive setup yet(im still trying to decide if i want to add plants/bugs) Im getting a couple more decor items(a couple fossils/ crystals,)
Besides the substrates , is there anything you’d change or alter or add? Please dont be shy , I appreciate all kinds of feedback and would love to hear what you think :)
8271E190-1591-438D-8FE0-47C6D825F490.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everyone i hope you’re having a good day :) steffern my female beardie has been in a 40 gallon breeder tank for the first year of her life, im happy to say shes now in a 4x2x2 zen habitat pvc enclosure, the backgrounds are sand matts and corkbark tiles, the left side substrate is “safe sand” the middle is excavator clay, and the right side is clay balls as a drainage layer potting soil mixed with cypress chips, and the top layer is repti bark, its not a bioactive setup yet(im still trying to decide if i want to add plants/bugs) Im getting a couple more decor items(a couple fossils/ crystals,)
Besides the substrates , is there anything you’d change or alter or add? Please dont be shy , I appreciate all kinds of feedback and would love to hear what you think :) View attachment 26793
It looks great but not so sure about the reptbark -- if ingested it could cause internal injuries -- how far of a distance of the UVB to the basking decor you have under it -- if its more than 15 inches I would get it lowered to at least 15 inches -- and I dont see any digital probes to get temps-- do you have them and not placed them yet ?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It looks great but not so sure about the reptbark -- if ingested it could cause internal injuries -- how far of a distance of the UVB to the basking decor you have under it -- if its more than 15 inches I would get it lowered to at least 15 inches -- and I dont see any digital probes to get temps-- do you have them and not placed them yet ?
Thank you for your concern about the bark, shes been on it for the year ive had her and has never even licked a piece, i will be shure to keep an eye on her (i also hand feed so theres never a chance of accidental ingestion, shes never been the type to eat things) The uvb is actually right at 15 for all the low spots and she can get as close as 11 inches on the right side if she basks on the cork round, is 11 inches okay?, i cant keep probes in the enclosure (i think cause they’re shiny she tries to eat them -_- ) her basking spot actually got better temp wise 97.8 is its hottest and around it ranges from 74-88, i dont want 100+ anymore right? At most shes 1yr8months atleast 1yr3months (i dont know exactly how old she is) . Ty for ur response btw sadie :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your concern about the bark, shes been on it for the year ive had her and has never even licked a piece, i will be shure to keep an eye on her (i also hand feed so theres never a chance of accidental ingestion, shes never been the type to eat things) The uvb is actually right at 15 for all the low spots and she can get as close as 11 inches on the right side if she basks on the cork round, is 11 inches okay?, i cant keep probes in the enclosure (i think cause they’re shiny she tries to eat them -_- ) her basking spot actually got better temp wise 97.8 is its hottest and around it ranges from 74-88, i dont want 100+ anymore right? At most shes 1yr8months atleast 1yr3months (i dont know exactly how old she is) . Ty for ur response btw sadie :)
Yes you don't want her temps any higher - as they get older they don't like the temps over 100- just watch her behavior - she will more or less tell you--

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
She is one lucky dragon! It’s super nice

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Besides the substrates , is there anything you’d change or alter or add? Please dont be shy , I appreciate all kinds of feedback and would love to hear what you think :) View attachment 26793
A bearded dragon doesn't need a drainage layer it's an arid environment species who need drainage layers a like chameleons and dart frogs . Also excavator clay isnt good. It clumps up when wet and hardens so when they ingest it it hardens In their gut and can impact them from solidifying.Reptibark isnt good aswell since it's made out of Douglas fir Bark which isnt safe. You need leaf litter and sphagnum moss , cypress chips arent too bad but need leaves and stuff like New Zealand tree ferns fiber and charcoal lava rocks etc best soil is biodudes terra saraha but if your on a budget Scott's topsoil is 2$ and the best sand is Austrailian bearded dragon habitat its australian soil

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sad
Sadie uses alot of scare tactics but really knows zilch about substrate Even if your habitat did Ingest the bark it would easily pass through . There was a study on a beardie who ate a 4inch plastic toy and passed it through . What's dangerous about the reptibark is it's made out of douglas fir bark and that is part of the pine family so it can cause RI issues and skin issues, also I keep my temperature gradient in the bask spot 95-120 . She lives that high bask zone ut is true some beardies prefer a lower gradient like 98-100 but is not a one size fits all deal lol

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Defienlty looks great one of the better habitats I've seen here . Just needs alittle tweaking maybe an Arcadia Jungle dawn in there if one isnt already and for the safe sand . If its playsand that really isnt safe its really dusty and can cause cancer read California Prop 65 on it .Petsmart has an exclusive substrate they bought the brand to it that's why its exclusive its Australian soil and can be mixed with botanicals to turn into a bio close to home

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The wood chips will lay unevenly unlike soil plus it's hard and awkward to walk on a pile of wood now adding wood in as a biodegradable for your soil or bio is good but the wood like this will be dusty but its also one straight texture get topsoil and take out most woodchips not all and mix all the substrates in there together add some sphagnum moss and stuff . You can farm isopods and springtails from your yard if you dont use any pesticides or insecticides probably quarantine them aswell I know people who have skipped the isopod quarantine with success

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Sad
Sadie uses alot of scare tactics but really knows zilch about substrate Even if your habitat did Ingest the bark it would easily pass through . There was a study on a beardie who ate a 4inch plastic toy and passed it through . What's dangerous about the reptibark is it's made out of douglas fir bark and that is part of the pine family so it can cause RI issues and skin issues, also I keep my temperature gradient in the bask spot 95-120 . She lives that high bask zone ut is true some beardies prefer a lower gradient like 98-100 but is not a one size fits all deal lol
@WICKEDPOGONA stepping on someone else to raise yourself up is not a becoming quality in human beings. Please be kind. You have your opinion and we have ours. Respect it. Thank you.

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
@WICKEDPOGONA stepping on someone else to raise yourself up is not a becoming quality in human beings. Please be kind. You have your opinion and we have ours. Respect it. Thank you.
Not here for feelings here for the animals and to distribute facts theres that study I was talking about since people like you tends to not believe unless ya see https://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2009/12/09/mushu-eats-large-toy
Sorry to step on Any toes but skyvugs su substrate wouldnt impact the beardie at all he has correct heat and uvb and overall doing what's spossed to be done elsewhere no internal injure risk on my bio there are twigs and tiny sticks about for leaf litter etc I've watched her for countless hours when she hunts she never Ingests substrate even if she did get a stick in she spit it out and was still able to obtain her catch if you give these guys a nice complex environment safe for them they'll reward you by their natural behaviors Very strong creatures that are subjected and survives in bad housing all the time if you give them proper care and stimulation you'll be rewarded . Surviving isnt thriving and you can take them out the wild but you cant take the wild out of them

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I like how i said i dont need advice on the substrate and thats all people comment mainly about lol, i do appreciate all the feedback, like stated above steffern has been on this substrate for a year , all substrate, decor , etc. was washed/baked prior to going in the tank to get rid of particulates and germs, the douglas fir IS in the pine family BUT its only the oil/sap that causes problems, if the wood was sealed or properly dried/washed it will present no issue, atleast in my situatio it hasn’t, i will of course monitor my beardie, when steffern has shed her nose mushrooms in the past they’ve always been clean , no dirt or dust in her nasal cavity, the excavator clay becomes rock hard and pieces do not fall off of it (this was in her original enclosure aswell) the only new thing in the enclosure is the sand, and thats not a issue or is dusty (its baked florida sand) my beardie has never ever eaten her substrate) she rarely licks in the enclosure and when she does its her hides. Ty again for those who replied :)

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I like how i said i dont need advice on the substrate and thats all people comment mainly about lol, i do appreciate all the feedback, like stated above steffern has been on this substrate for a year , all substrate, decor , etc. was washed/baked prior to going in the tank to get rid of particulates and germs, the douglas fir IS in the pine family BUT its only the oil/sap that causes problems, if the wood was sealed or properly dried/washed it will present no issue, atleast in my situatio it hasn’t, i will of course monitor my beardie, when steffern has shed her nose mushrooms in the past they’ve always been clean , no dirt or dust in her nasal cavity, the excavator clay becomes rock hard and pieces do not fall off of it (this was in her original enclosure aswell) the only new thing in the enclosure is the sand, and thats not a issue or is dusty (its baked florida sand) my beardie has never ever eaten her substrate) she rarely licks in the enclosure and when she does its her hides. Ty again for those who replied :)
Looks good I would suggest having some shade not having the whole enclosure illuminated more natural and is the Light and Shade method Arcadia recommends. Also recommend some rocks they hold heat well through the night helps with nails and they just like to rub on them especially during shed I also would say a hammock or two my girl is always in either the hammock under the bask or the shade

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Looks good I would suggest having some shade not having the whole enclosure illuminated more natural and is the Light and Shade method Arcadia recommends. Also recommend some rocks they hold heat well through the night helps with nails and they just like to rub on them especially during shed I also would say a hammock or two my girl is always in either the hammock under the bask or the shade
Do you think a large lava rock would be too rough to rub against? The ones that ive seen and felt are super jagged and sharp,
Like they literally slit my hands just handling them, i am making her another hide, im still waiting on my chainsaw to come in the mail then i can hallow out the logs ive picked out :)

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Do you think a large lava rock would be too rough to rub against? The ones that ive seen and felt are super jagged and sharp,
Like they literally slit my hands just handling them, i am making her another hide, im still waiting on my chainsaw to come in the mail then i can hallow out the logs ive picked out :)
I don't think it would be too rough I use small ones in my bioactive substrate I prefer Dragon stone aka Ohko stone also like Slate rocks but I think a lava rock would b fine they even have minerals and such that help soil and plants

missjody

Bearded Dragon Egg
#EnclosureGoals!!! I think it looks amazing... I may use it as a template for my new enclosure :). How did you raise the right side like that? I'm going with tile, but I want one one area for digging.. that looks perfect

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
#EnclosureGoals!!! I think it looks amazing... I may use it as a template for my new enclosure :). How did you raise the right side like that? I'm going with tile, but I want one one area for digging.. that looks perfect
B6626C19-81C5-4D68-A21C-B63B000AFF22.jpeg

This was right after i added the “red bedding” in the back left corner (it still has to dry and crack) i added cypress bark in the very right corner so it slopes up, i tried to mimic her old enclosure as much as I could so she doesn’t get stressed (i dont think she even cares her home is 3 times bigger lol) but i care , my only concern for tile is it can be bad on their joints if you have high basking decor, just monitor ur lizard make shure the beardie isn’t jumping from the top onto the tile, i had tile before and noticed the soles of my beardies feed would be sore, so I ended up using bark, if you go for a loose substrate keep in mind its not safe for every beardie (some eat their substrate) while dragons like mine never ever do, its a case by case situation.

Attachments

• 3AEA5324-F001-4BF1-BA0D-9BEACDDAB2AA.png
    3AEA5324-F001-4BF1-BA0D-9BEACDDAB2AA.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 11