• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Older Male Beardie coming out of Bromation

DukeofEarl

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I don’t exactly know Gus’s age but he is an older bearded dragon, who has definitely mates before.. They did not know his age, or just didn’t tell me when I bought him, but once we got him home he almost immediately went into bromation.. It’s been over 5 months, maybe more than 6, I was told he would just come out of it in May, which he didn’t. He stayed in his hide, and just slept.. We even got him a girlfriend, a month after having him, which he didn’t even care about!! SO it’s now April, I’ve removed his hide, and he still hardly eats during feeding time.. He won’t eat romaine lettuce unless it’s basically forced into his mouth and refuses to chase crickets.. He will eat hornworms if they are right in front of him and are moving, but that’s pretty much it!! He is usually lethargic and doesn’t move around much. And always tries to hide under anything he can.. Any advice as to how to get him to eat more, maybe become more active?? He’s lost a good amount of weight since I got him bc he really hasn’t eaten much since we got him, which is over 6 months!!! Is this normal??

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So I don’t exactly know Gus’s age but he is an older bearded dragon, who has definitely mates before.. They did not know his age, or just didn’t tell me when I bought him, but once we got him home he almost immediately went into bromation.. It’s been over 5 months, maybe more than 6, I was told he would just come out of it in May, which he didn’t. He stayed in his hide, and just slept.. We even got him a girlfriend, a month after having him, which he didn’t even care about!! SO it’s now April, I’ve removed his hide, and he still hardly eats during feeding time.. He won’t eat romaine lettuce unless it’s basically forced into his mouth and refuses to chase crickets.. He will eat hornworms if they are right in front of him and are moving, but that’s pretty much it!! He is usually lethargic and doesn’t move around much. And always tries to hide under anything he can.. Any advice as to how to get him to eat more, maybe become more active?? He’s lost a good amount of weight since I got him bc he really hasn’t eaten much since we got him, which is over 6 months!!! Is this normal??
Hmmm . . . not an expert, but from what I've read on the site they shouldn't loose much weight during brumation. My guy hasn't brumated yet, but I have read up on some of the things that happen during and what to watch for that may be concerning. Weight loss was one of them. There may be something else going on. I'll let the experts help you determine the situation. Hope he's ok.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please go over the basking temps and uvb---- no coils please-- no this not normal - dragons should not brumate for over 3-- temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer