• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Offer material for extra warmth at night?

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone has any clothing material in their vivs for their dragon to snuggle with at night, using it to trap in their body heat?

Last night, my beardie was sleeping in a little notch in his drift wood, with his head resting on the branch. I cut a small piece of reptile carpet (slightly smaller than him) and put it over his body like a blanket before I went to bed. When I woke up this morning, I notice he was still under it. Is this because he liked the extra warmth or was he just too tired/lazy to move out from under it? I thought it was super cute either way.

I'm in Arizona and my apartment doesn't drop below 75 so I currently do not have any heat sources on at night. His SolarGlow stays on from 7am - 7pm. He is still a youngin', about 8 inches head to tail. Do you think he is warm enough at night or would he benefit from having material to nestle in? I haven't seen this anywhere else yet so I don't know if that's a weird idea for reptiles...

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Each of my girls have their own blankets to snuggle on/in at night. It doesn't hold in heat and won't keep them warm because they are cold blooded. It's good and natural for them to get cooler at night, just not too cold. If the temps get too cold use a che. It's normal for a beardie to stay in one spot while they sleep. Once the lights go out for bed time they will fall asleep in a spot and not move until morning. So if you tuck your little one in at night with a blanket they will most likely stay like that till morning.

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ahhhh I didn't think about them not even having body heat, makes sense. Why do you suspect you girls use the blankets? Do they use them on their own consistently every night?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, they use them on their own. Midna usually digs under and sometime lays on top of hers. Usually all you can see at night is her tail sticking out, lol. Yaddle's usually just lays on hers. I think they just like the soft fabric...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just an added note, Night heat is not need or wanted unless your ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60sF

Sunkiss

Juvenile Dragon
I made small blankets for my Sunkiss out of a t-shirt (material her nails would not get stuck in)....she sleeps on it every night in her cave.