• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not sure what to do (no poop for 2 days)

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Murphy has recently been updated to a 4x2x2. He is 12 inches away from his Arcadia dessert t5 d3 uvb light that is mounted inside the enclosure. His heat source is on top of the screen and keeps it usually between 95 and 103. He is 9 months old. He also recently was switched to collard greens and mustard greens because I was told kale isn't good everyday. He usually gets red bell peppers chunks and butternut squash chunks as well. He gets dubias during the day and crickets for dinner. Eating dubias (but not as many, thought maybe cause he eats the mediums now) and a normal amount of dusted crickets. He hasn't pooped in 2 days!! Maybe a few times he hasn't pooped maybe 1 day but never 2. I gave him a bath early hoping that would help and nothing. I'm totally stressed about it!! His belly is soft, not dragging legs or twitching at all. He hasn't been eating as much as he usually does either. His last bowel movement was normal with normal urate. I'm at a loss. Help plz!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Murphy has recently been updated to a 4x2x2. He is 12 inches away from his Arcadia dessert t5 d3 uvb light that is mounted inside the enclosure. His heat source is on top of the screen and keeps it usually between 95 and 103. He is 9 months old. He also recently was switched to collard greens and mustard greens because I was told kale isn't good everyday. He usually gets red bell peppers chunks and butternut squash chunks as well. He gets dubias during the day and crickets for dinner. Eating dubias (but not as many, thought maybe cause he eats the mediums now) and a normal amount of dusted crickets. He hasn't pooped in 2 days!! Maybe a few times he hasn't pooped maybe 1 day but never 2. I gave him a bath early hoping that would help and nothing. I'm totally stressed about it!! His belly is soft, not dragging legs or twitching at all. He hasn't been eating as much as he usually does either. His last bowel movement was normal with normal urate. I'm at a loss. Help plz!!!
Kale is a great staple feeder- please feed- as dragons get older they will poop less- make sure he's hydrated if all is good w/ your uvb and surface basking temps he will go- make sure your feeding appropriate size insects and being 9 months I am thinking he's eating a large dubia- they are more filling-

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Kale is a great staple feeder- please feed- as dragons get older they will poop less- make sure he's hydrated if all is good w/ your uvb and surface basking temps he will go- make sure your feeding appropriate size insects and being 9 months I am thinking he's eating a large dubia- they are more filling-
Thanks Sadie. He really loves kale but I haven't given it to him in a while! I'm getting some TOMORROW! He will be so happy. He does like to bask on his hammock which is usually surface temp of about 95. Is that ok? It always has been but now I'm second guessing everything because of this poop situation. His dubias are usually about 5/8" to 1/2". I'm afraid to give him to big of ones cause he has choked before and it scared the crap outta me!!! He does go in his hide during the day for a nap or just to be. I don't know how often because I'm not usually home but today he seemed to be in it more but maybe cause I've been watching him like a hawk Im thinking it's been more than usual. Ugh. I really hope he poops tomorrow. Stressed mama over here. This is a pic of him from earlier today. Love this little man!!

Attachments

• 20230514_155358.jpg
    20230514_155358.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Sadie. He really loves kale but I haven't given it to him in a while! I'm getting some TOMORROW! He will be so happy. He does like to bask on his hammock which is usually surface temp of about 95. Is that ok? It always has been but now I'm second guessing everything because of this poop situation. His dubias are usually about 5/8" to 1/2". I'm afraid to give him to big of ones cause he has choked before and it scared the crap outta me!!! He does go in his hide during the day for a nap or just to be. I don't know how often because I'm not usually home but today he seemed to be in it more but maybe cause I've been watching him like a hawk Im thinking it's been more than usual. Ugh. I really hope he poops tomorrow. Stressed mama over here. This is a pic of him from earlier today. Love this little man!!
He's fine the basking temp is good- the insect size if too small he will just eat more of them - offer him large super worms 1-3 every other day and horn worms - horn worms are a good hydrating worm they grow fast so feed every day - let him poop on his own - you can always feed some baby food pumpkin that will make him poop-- my dragons poop about every 3 weeks - good healthy ones

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
He's fine the basking temp is good- the insect size if too small he will just eat more of them - offer him large super worms 1-3 every other day and horn worms - horn worms are a good hydrating worm they grow fast so feed every day - let him poop on his own - you can always feed some baby food pumpkin that will make him poop-- my dragons poop about every 3 weeks - good healthy ones
Thanks again Sadie. I will definitely be getting those worms and kale tomorrow! He's definitely well hydrated but he loves the hornworms. Never tried the super worms before so that will be a new treat to him. I'll be sure to keep updates on how all is going.

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks again Sadie. I will definitely be getting those worms and kale tomorrow! He's definitely well hydrated but he loves the hornworms. Never tried the super worms before so that will be a new treat to him. I'll be sure to keep updates on how all is going.
He pooped this morning! So twisted to be excited about poop lol.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Give him a warm bath at room temp and rub his tummy downwards to help him poop. He’s impacted. Never ever feed mealworms they impact a Beardie and make sure the veggies are not bigger than the space between his 2 eyes. Make sure the veggies are sliced flat like slicing a cucumber. And then in 1/2s or fours but flat. Also add yellow squash to plate of veggies and only feed proteins ONCE every other day at 9mnths of age. You cannot feed him twice a day with proteins at that age. Also, never feed before bed time beacsue it takes 2 hours to digest food; so best to feed the proteins in the mornign after he’s warm and been basking for a few hours or in the early evening like 4-5pm. And leave the veggies in the tank all day for snacking. Please change the UVB light every 6Mnths and buy the long tubular bulb called Reptisun 10.0 T5 that’s the best and only one to use. The length u buy should cover 70 percent of the tank and placed in the center starting at the hot/basking side. Attached are pics of the light. And lastly, sprinkle herptivite vitamins once a week on the proteins and make sure it’s eaten rite away and doesn’t sit, then 1-2 times a week sprinkle the proteins with calcium powder. Sprinkle like salt on fries so they are dusty white.

Attachments

• IMG_8717.jpeg
    IMG_8717.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8718.jpeg
    IMG_8718.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
He pooped this morning! So twisted to be excited about poop lol.
Please read what I posted for some vital info. I forgot to mention also it’s good to get a poop sample & bring it into the vet and have the vet test it for parasites. A big major one that’s like lice in the tummy is called Coccidia. It happens when enclosures are not kept clean. Poop needs to be picked up rite away; Beardies like clean and all food and water and food particles must be removed every nite before bedtime & cages always kept clean.

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Please read what I posted for some vital info. I forgot to mention also it’s good to get a poop sample & bring it into the vet and have the vet test it for parasites. A big major one that’s like lice in the tummy is called Coccidia. It happens when enclosures are not kept clean. Poop needs to be picked up rite away; Beardies like clean and all food and water and food particles must be removed every nite before bedtime & cages always kept clean.
Yep I do all that and got all that. Thank you. He pooped the next morning and again today back on his regular schedule. Sadie has taught me a lot so we are all good. Thanks for the info

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yep I do all that and got all that. Thank you. He pooped the next morning and again today back on his regular schedule. Sadie has taught me a lot so we are all good. Thanks for the info
Remember also a Beardie doesn’t necessarily need to poop everyday. Also, be careful with what Sadie says; he claims not to ever give baths or jist your Beardie. If they are shedding and get no baths; then the shed will stick and cut off their circulation. Also Beardies obtain their water intake when they bathe because most Beardies don’t drink water because they can’t see still water u have to train him and splash the water around.

Murphy & CharLee’s Mom

Hatchling Dragon
Remember also a Beardie doesn’t necessarily need to poop everyday. Also, be careful with what Sadie says; he claims not to ever give baths or jist your Beardie. If they are shedding and get no baths; then the shed will stick and cut off their circulation. Also Beardies obtain their water intake when they bathe because most Beardies don’t drink water because they can’t see still water u have to train him and splash the water around.
Yes. My dragon is 9 months old so I understand that they will eventually stop pooping everyday. He still eats a lot so I just assume he will everyday. Lol. I do give him a bath at least once a week. More so if he is shedding and use a baby gum toothbrush to help. He only has every drank his bath water twice. He is a very hydrated beardie. All his live food is gut loaded and hydrated with water crystals. I wash his greens before I put them in his bowl every morning. He does have a small shallow bowl in his enclosure for humidity reasons only but odviously he is welcome to drink it which I've seen him do that once. Thank you for the advice

Latest posts