• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not pooping???

Dana

Bearded Dragon Egg
I moved from Oklahoma to Minnesota around the last week of march and my beardie has been acting odd. he tries to get as far away from the heat lamp during the day.. i took him out and he curled up in a corner for several days and moved very little, i have not given him crickets for almost 3 wks and he has eaten very little greens (colard or mustard greens is the regular) but has not had any feces, he is verylazy and trying to hide i put a shoe box on the floor last night and let him out and he has been there since. I have done a bath weekly and dont know what else i can be doin... Anyone who has any experience like this or may have a reason for him not having bowel movements for the past 3 weeks please let me know.... Thanks

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First of all, if it is eating very little, it stands to reason that there will be very little waste to be expelled.

Second, why are you keeping it outside of it's enclosure for days at time?

Being kept out of it's enclosure away from proper temps will definitely affect it's eating habits & bowel movements, as it does not have the proper heat needed to effectively digest it's food. You have not mentioned how old your BD is, but if it is 1+ year old, has not been kept in the enclosure with consistent temps, it may be attempting to protect itself by going into brumation because it senses a season change. BDs require specific environments to thrive & should not be kept outside their setups\environments for extended amounts of time.

You may find some helpful info on care & set up here ... Basic BD Care Guide. It sounds like you may have to get much more properly informed about the care of your BD, to start with, go through this basic care guide in its entirety & come back with any questions that you may have.

Pics of your BD & Setup, along with your husbandry specs, such as Lighting & Schedule (On\Off times), UVB, Temps (Type of thermometer & where the temps are taken, both Basking & cool side temps), size of enclosure, substrate, etc, etc, are needed to give members an idea of the situation, in order to give any kind of helpful advice.

Good Luck

Dana

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have had him since march of last year and am not sure his exact age when i got him from the pet store. I have had him out of his cage because he was been trying to jump at the top and acting like he wanted out and away from lights when he was active, usually his hot side is 95-100 during day and cool side goes from 80 to 60fareheit depending on weather day to nite. i have reduced him uvb light time to 11hrs when he was in the cage since he has been acting different. recently he crawled around my toilet and stayed there for 3 days, just today he has started moving again but when i pick him up he jumped out of my hands and glared at me with a darkened beard (which is not usual) for now i have his lights set up so he can bask if he chooses outside his tank and have his uvb light on the same space, (uvb was purchased in january, fyi) i have done my research on beardies and am proud that i have kept him happy and healthy for over a year now and i know my lizard was very unhappy in his tank before i let him curl up in a corner of my closet.

Dana

Bearded Dragon Egg
to clarify the point of my question before, he was acting as he usually does until a couple of weeks after we moved. Than he started eating less. usually he has fecal movements once to twice a week, and get taken out ofthe cage every couple days depending on the weather. dont "assume" i dont know how to care for my beardie just bcuz i havnt posted before...My grandaddy said "to assume makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me"....

Nitro

Bearded Dragon Egg
I don't think that anything was said because you havent posted here before and assumptions are really not needed when the obvious is staring you in the face. this
recently he crawled around my toilet and stayed there for 3 days, just today he has started moving again but when i pick him up he jumped out of my hands and glared at me with a darkened beard.
just shows how well you care for them with your long time knowledge of good care for these animals :rolleyes: about Granddaddy's saying, in your case, an assumption might not be needed to come to that conclusion.
Did it ever occur to you, that if your dragon wanted out of his house as badly as you said, that there just might have been something not quite right in it that was really making it uncomfortable.
Not coming back for answers until 2 weeks later makes one wonder just how concerned you are.

bb66

Bearded Dragon Egg
Surely You Jest!! Sounds to border on animal abuse :oops: in my humble opinion Hiding in closet and behind toilets for days doesn't sound healthy or reasonable activity of a healthy well cared for dragon to me. notelling what it might eat around the house to plug it up either being as how it is so rarely fed any meat - the dragon not the toilet

Soooo much wrong with that picture inmy eyes