• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not pooping for weeks!!

Reza

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My 5 year old beardie usually poops every week or two but she hasn’t pooped for several weeks. I can’t remember the last time she pooped. She’s eating regular and seems to be fine except for not pooping. I soak her her a couple of times a week. I have taken her to the vet in the past to get her cleaned out and will have to do it again before she pops. I’ll take any suggestions you can give. Thanks!

Reza

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She eats Superworms and kale. Every once in while she’ll eat a Hornworm. No substrate, just tile. She has a 20” UVB light from Pet Smart specific for reptiles. The 70 gallon tank is in my office. I’m always concerned if she’s hydrated so I soak her about twice a week and she has water in her tank.

I fear she’s going to pops because she keeps eating and not pooping.

Reza

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Please dont have the vet do an enima it is very hard on them -- pooping for longer periods of time is normal for older dragons--- what is she eating for diet? Insects ? Salad like collard turnips mustard greens? Are you feeding her super worms or meal worms? Is she hydrated? That is crucial for going to the bath room-- what kind of substrate do you have her on? Sand and loose stuff can cause impaction --- also what kind of lighting are you using -- UVB ? Brand and bulb -- where is it in the tank ---------- all this plays a huge role in their digestion behavior and over all health----------
kaylyn

She eats Superworms and kale. Every once in while she’ll eat a Hornworm. No substrate, just tile. She has a 20” UVB light from Pet Smart specific for reptiles. The 70 gallon tank is in my office. I’m always concerned if she’s hydrated so I soak her about twice a week and she has water in her tank.

I fear she’s going to pops because she keeps eating and not pooping.

Reza

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What kind of 20” UVB light from Pet Smart ?? This is crucial!! Petsmart often gives bad advice because they dont own beardies and never have--- I have heard pros and cons of kale - that it binds calcium -- so I dont feed mine kale- also too many superworms can cause impaction - here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Also I would recommend feeding dubia roaches as a staple - they dont give parasites and are way better for nutritional value -- here is some info on dubias
Dubias
· Wide range of sizes
· Long life span
· Excellent nutrition
· Easy to digest
· High in protein
Convenient for you
· Odorless and soundless
· Will not infest your home
· Can be stored out of sight
· Easy to care for
· Cannot jump, fly or climb
They can be kept in a 10 gallon tank or tote and fed squash carrots apples strawberries -- they dont like greens much -- also dubia food - carrots as a water source --
Here is some info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
My guess its the UVB you have --- that controls how the nutrients are being absorbed in the body---
kaylyn

Thank you for all the great advice! I’m guessing she’s impacted due to the Superworms. She eats about 10 a day.

If you don’t recommend taking her to the vet, how can I get her to poop?

Reza

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She will eventually go but if you want you can feed her some unsweetened baby food prunes --- about .5 ml --- that is what I gave Hiccup - it took about a day or two also some sweet potato is good to keep them regular --- unsweetened applesauce is good about the same amount .5 ml--hornworms are good for hydration to keep things moving as well -- as for the UVB I dont know what you have but if its a coil or anyone of the things mentioned in the about post please get it changed out-- you will notice a difference in her behavior right away
kaylyn

I have a 18” All Living Things desert fluorescent 50 UVB 15 watt

Reza

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Please replace w/ one of the reptisuns -- those living things are no good-- that is part of the problems-- you can use the fixture I can't remember what size hood the T 8's come in -- but please get rid of the all living things-- the T 8 bulb comes in 18" and up it is not as strong as bulb as the T 5-- but that UVB you have now she is not getting the UVB she needs
kaylyn

Thanks so much for the education!

Reza

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Please replace w/ one of the reptisuns -- those living things are no good-- that is part of the problems-- you can use the fixture I can't remember what size hood the T 8's come in -- but please get rid of the all living things-- the T 8 bulb comes in 18" and up it is not as strong as bulb as the T 5-- but that UVB you have now she is not getting the UVB she needs
kaylyn

Great news!! Crush pooped!!!! PHEW!!

Thanks for all the advise.

Reza

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yes, I got a Reptisun 10. The top of my tank is grated not glass.