• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating salad

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My beardie, George, is about 1 year old. He is not eating his salad. I did it fresh every day. I've tried changing up his greens, different fruits and veggies. He eats super worms every couple of days. He might go to his dish and look in it, but then he just walks away. He is also only pooping during bath time, which is generally once a week for a full bath. Suggestions???

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We tried the roaches, he wouldn't eat them. Temp right now is 100-105, basking light is 150 watt by Exo Terra. He also ignores the crickets we tried

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
We tried the roaches, he wouldn't eat them. Temp right now is 100-105, basking light is 150 watt by Exo Terra. He also ignores the crickets we tried
Gina, when you say temp is 100-105, do you mean surface or air? That's an excellent surface temp for basking, but may be too hot if it's ambient temp.
If you think he may be constipated/impacted, you can try getting him to eat some canned pumpkin (not pie kind, not with spices), or baby food pumpkin, squash, green beans, or applesauce, and put in a few drops of olive oil. Try just the olive oil if you don't have/can't get the other things.
If he won't eat roaches or crickets, try something slower like BSFL (Phoenix worms). They don't need calcium dust. You could also try silkworms, hornworms, or butterworms, or even waxworms (all soft bodied), just to get him eating. Watch those last two - they're high in fat. But the butterworms are also high in calcium.
Keep offering salad/greens, maybe he'll try them at some point. :0)

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Follow up, couldn't find pumpkin either in non-pie or in baby food but I did find pumpkin and apple baby food. George ate some of that, then I gave him a warm bath and massaged his belly and he pooped!!!! Ordering new lights, since I have the coil, and going to try him back on the roaches again.

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm getting the reptisun that you talked about, I also have another place saying the same thing. I just need to figure out the size, I have a 40 gallon tank, I am also wanting it to sit in on top of the screen and not in the tank

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here are pictures of his tank

Attachments

• IMG_20190729_210740.jpg
    IMG_20190729_210740.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20190729_210743.jpg
    IMG_20190729_210743.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20190729_210756.jpg
    IMG_20190729_210756.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 48

GinaSimi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ended up taking George to the vet (he specializes in exotics) today, still wasn't eating. He does have a parasite. I had to wash everything in his tank with 10-1 bleach water, he gets shots every 3 days for two weeks, also a liquid medicine daily then syringe feeding of a nutritional supplement until he starts eating, not fun. The vet said my UVB is great, thank you for that advise. but my temps under the basking light were too much, should only be about 85-95. He also said no light at all at night, to use a ceramic heater to keep the temps even. He then said to get rid of the carpet that I had, to use either newspapers or butcher paper. He also said that fruit is not good for a regular diet, it's ok for a treat because of the sugar content. Basically feed crickets, roaches and a variety of greens nothing else for a regular everyday diet.