1. Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragon Diet' started by GinaSimi, Jul 25, 2019.

1. GinaSimi

GinaSimi Bearded Dragon Egg

My beardie, George, is about 1 year old. He is not eating his salad. I did it fresh every day. I've tried changing up his greens, different fruits and veggies. He eats super worms every couple of days. He might go to his dish and look in it, but then he just walks away. He is also only pooping during bath time, which is generally once a week for a full bath. Suggestions???
  2. kaylynangel

kaylynangel Juvenile Dragon

They are stubborn ----please no more super worms as a diet --- try getting some dubia roaches and dusting them like the crickets -- you can order them on line --- do a google search for dubias and go from there - there are plenty of suppliers -- also amazon--- here is a website for nutrition
    http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Here is some info for dubias
    · Wide range of sizes
    · Long life span
    · Excellent nutrition
    · Easy to digest
    · High in protein
    Convenient for you
    · Odorless and soundless
    · Will not infest your home
    · Can be stored out of sight
    · Easy to care for
    · Cannot jump, fly or climb
    I have used them since Hiccup was a baby and now have switched him over to BSFL---- they are a good calcium bug --- the green worms you are describing are horn worms and they are a good hydration bug --

Also the lighting in your tank plays a huge role in their behavior digestion and over all health --- what is in the tank for lighting? UVB ? brand and bulb? what are the basking temps in the tank and how are you taking them? - Infrared heat gun ? stick ons? digital probe? The best accurate temp is taken w/ a infrared heat gun ----------------- they can be purchased at Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 or so
    kaylyn
  3. GinaSimi

We tried the roaches, he wouldn't eat them. Temp right now is 100-105, basking light is 150 watt by Exo Terra. He also ignores the crickets we tried
  4. GinaSimi

Also just gave him a bath and he didn't poop
  5. kaylynangel

Please post pics of your tank and lighting so I can see what might be the issue here-- I can better help
    kaylyn
  6. JumpinJellyfish

JumpinJellyfish Juvenile Dragon

Gina, when you say temp is 100-105, do you mean surface or air? That's an excellent surface temp for basking, but may be too hot if it's ambient temp.
    If you think he may be constipated/impacted, you can try getting him to eat some canned pumpkin (not pie kind, not with spices), or baby food pumpkin, squash, green beans, or applesauce, and put in a few drops of olive oil. Try just the olive oil if you don't have/can't get the other things.
    If he won't eat roaches or crickets, try something slower like BSFL (Phoenix worms). They don't need calcium dust. You could also try silkworms, hornworms, or butterworms, or even waxworms (all soft bodied), just to get him eating. Watch those last two - they're high in fat. But the butterworms are also high in calcium.
    Keep offering salad/greens, maybe he'll try them at some point. :0)
  7. GinaSimi

Follow up, couldn't find pumpkin either in non-pie or in baby food but I did find pumpkin and apple baby food. George ate some of that, then I gave him a warm bath and massaged his belly and he pooped!!!! Ordering new lights, since I have the coil, and going to try him back on the roaches again.
    JumpinJellyfish likes this.
  8. kaylynangel

Ordering new lights,?????????? what did you order????????????
    kaylyn
  9. GinaSimi

I'm getting the reptisun that you talked about, I also have another place saying the same thing. I just need to figure out the size, I have a 40 gallon tank, I am also wanting it to sit in on top of the screen and not in the tank
  10. GinaSimi

Here are pictures of his tank

Attached Files:

11. kaylynangel

You need to get the T 5 then they only come in 24" fixtures and up so I would get that one-- no longer-- it can sit on top of screen w/ cover off the bulb w/ it 10-11 inches from basking area;- make sure it's the 10.0 bulb not 5.0-- the 5.0 is for aquariums
    Kaylyn
  12. GinaSimi

Thanks to everyone for all there help and advice.
    JumpinJellyfish likes this.
  13. GinaSimi

Ended up taking George to the vet (he specializes in exotics) today, still wasn't eating. He does have a parasite. I had to wash everything in his tank with 10-1 bleach water, he gets shots every 3 days for two weeks, also a liquid medicine daily then syringe feeding of a nutritional supplement until he starts eating, not fun. The vet said my UVB is great, thank you for that advise. but my temps under the basking light were too much, should only be about 85-95. He also said no light at all at night, to use a ceramic heater to keep the temps even. He then said to get rid of the carpet that I had, to use either newspapers or butcher paper. He also said that fruit is not good for a regular diet, it's ok for a treat because of the sugar content. Basically feed crickets, roaches and a variety of greens nothing else for a regular everyday diet.
  14. kaylynangel

Good you got him to the vet-- hope he does well on that med- I am concerned w/ the basking temp he told you tho- 85-95 is not real high - I would watch his poop - its possible he wont be able to digest very well beings its that low- I would get a gradient going - like have it a higher temp of his basking area and then if he wants to sit at a lower area on his log or what ever your using he can do that w/ the temp being a lower temp -- but I am hoping he does not start having problems w/ digesting his food especially if its at 85 degrees - as far as substrate you can get some textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes for cheap its easy to clean w / vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle and the insects cant get underneath- you can also use slated ceramic tile from the same place same way to clean - it would need to be cut w/ a tile cutter --- and this will also keep his nails trimmed down--
    kaylyn